• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Axle Shaft Installation

The Baron

I have a 1984 M1009. I was changing the U-joint on the driver side of the front axle. When I put the axle shaft back into the axle I could no longer get it to spin when I turned the drive shaft. The TM simply says to re-install the shaft. Is there some sort of procedure to putting the axle shaft back in or do you just slip it back in? Does anyone have any clue what I did wrong?

Westech

CPL
One.... Are both axles off the ground? When you spin the drive shaft is the other tire spinning? Or if you have a hub unlocked it will spin the other axle.
Just slide the shaft back In there are no c clips on the front axle.
I am betting you have the hub unlocked and it's simply spinning the other shaft.

The Baron

The truck is in 2 wheel drive, in park, on the ground, and both wheels are unlocked. When I spin the shaft only the passenger side axle shaft spins. Shouldn't both spin?

Firejareen

Not unless there is a locker in the front. Otherwise just one would spin. That's how the differential system works. Somewhat why when stuck in the snow, just one tire spins.

scottladdy

On the side you don't want to check, find a way to block it so the axle shaft on that side cannot turn, in your case the right or passenger side. Easiest way might be to lock the hub and chock the tire.

Then rotate the drive (propeller) shaft and report back.

Don't forget to undo the blocking before driving.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks