• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Axle shafts too tight in housing.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The buttons were on the bottom.....
Ah... so simple. One (me) would assume that a complete axle rebuild also included removing the knuckles and inspecting/servicing the king pins.
(These kind of "shortcuts" usually take their toll...:wink:)

With everything correctly assembled - when pulling/pushing on the axle shaft - you should be able to actually feel some axial play. A minimum movement at least, regardless of the knuckle angle.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
This is what happens when the button is left out altogether.

20131122_141728.jpg20131122_141733.jpg20131122_141737.jpg

That's the bottom plate, which without the puck on top, allowed the entire knuckle to move upward, rubbing the kingpin bushing plate into the kingpin.

4XDesign

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ah... so simple. One (me) would assume that a complete axle rebuild also included removing the knuckles and inspecting/servicing the king pins.
(These kind of "shortcuts" usually take their toll...:wink:)

With everything correctly assembled - when pulling/pushing on the axle shaft - you should be able to actually feel some axial play. A minimum movement at least, regardless of the knuckle angle.
Oh yes I know. I was truly only going in to replace wheel cylinders. I should've committed right out of the gate.