• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Axle swap M1009

FridgeBrilliance

So, axle rebuilds and traction aids are coming up soon on the priority list. I had a random idea to swap to Dana 60's front and rear instead of rebuilding the 10-bolts. Anything I should know? Bad idea? Great idea? Compatibility issues out back? I would like this to be as straightforward as possible otherwise I would rather just stick with the 10-bolts.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pretty good idea. Have a source yet? I'm partial to the 14 bolt FF rears. Brutally strong, lockers much cheaper than the 60 and depending which one you buy, it will bolt right in. Disc brake swaps are super cheap and effective. I'm putting one together to replace the 14 Bolt SF in the burb. Just ordered a fabricated steel cover and rear caliper mounts from DIY4X. Customer service and parts are exemplary from Kert.

vinny-socom1

Ditto, no issues with the dana 60's but the 14 bolt from a M1008 already has a detroit locker and the disc brake swap is easy, they even make a 6 lug hub for it too.

Vinny

FridgeBrilliance

Good advice all around. The 14 bolt stinks imho just because of weight and ground clearance. Is there a huge difference between that and the 60? I like the whole redundancy aspect of having essentially the same thing front and rear, which as far as I know rules the 14 bolt out. I will probably never go bigger than 32's as far as tires and this is a daily driver. In fact it is my only vehicle :p

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
not an exact bolt in swap, but still easy enough. don't mess around with anything but one ton stuff.
Late 70's early 80's 3/4 ton FF rears are a bolt in swap. Spring perches are at 42.5" wide, shock mounts are the same and the rear is identical to it's 1 ton counterpart with maybe a brake exception. Some of the 14 Bolt FF rears had 11" brakes instead of the 13" brakes. The same axle from a 1 ton would require relocating perches and shock mounts.

ODdave

60's front and rear are a pretty good idea. The 14 is a great axle but honestly the 09 dosnt need it.
If I where you I would do some junkyard shopping and find an older 60 rear (ford is the easiest place) with the ratio you want and a factory power lock diff. They are GREAT limited slips and reasonably priced to rebiuld. As for the front, no cheap route.

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Best and most economical way to upgrade a 1009 daily driver is to buy a GM 3/4 ton from the 70/80's. Most will have a Dana 44 front and 14 bolt rear. Suburbans are great donor vehicles and a rusty one will be cheap. You can find many with 3.73 gears which work great for 33/12.50 tires.
GM 14 bolt rear axle in a single rear wheel application will eat D60 rears lunch. :)

ODdave

Eh, I wouldnt waste time or money on 3/4 tons. Yes the rear is stronger but the fronts are of equal strength. If you want to do an upgrade to the rear, put a SF 6lug 14 bolt in it.

The HUGE downfall of a 14bolt is there are no good traction aids without going to a full locker.

dstang97

Late 70's early 80's 3/4 ton FF rears are a bolt in swap. Spring perches are at 42.5" wide, shock mounts are the same and the rear is identical to it's 1 ton counterpart with maybe a brake exception. Some of the 14 Bolt FF rears had 11" brakes instead of the 13" brakes. The same axle from a 1 ton would require relocating perches and shock mounts.
Yes but most people buy a complete set. Which would have one ton spacing. Not a huge deal.

Firejareen

A couple of years ago I was searching for a Dana 60 rear for a build. I came across the fact that '98 1/2-00 Ford E350 vans with the Diesel motor had Dana 60 axles with Disc brakes. I got one with 4.10 gears and a limited slip for $250. It came out of a wrecked van and all I had to do was change out the brake pads and e-brake shoes and it was good to go.

bjsmith

I will be swapping axles soon to. Once i find new rims or maybe rim and tire combo i could trade mine for. I'm doing 14 bolt ff and dana 44 front. I got both for a good deal with limited slip front and locker in rear. The dana 44 will only be there till I find a dana 60 for a good price.

ReubenJames

I am planning on doing this upgrade also...I have a 86 K20 as donor vehicle with 14 bolt ff (3.73 gears). I also plan on a disc brake conversion. The only downside is that I have four practically new 31X10.5X15 tires that I won't need because the donor has 16 inch wheels. I guess I will just have to get some different tires after I sell the ones I have...That is unless some has a different idea.

bjsmith

I know a couple guys with them and seen alot on the web. With the right offset which is about 3.5" backspacing they clear the rear fine and minor grinding on front brake calipers. Read alot of people grinding calipers with no problems. The couple guys I know did it and haven't had any problems and one is running 39.5s on his truck that he drives few times a week.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks