• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Axle trans TC vents

1978davidw

I am fixing to redo all my vents and get rid of all the bobblehead vents and replace them with a single system all hooked to a poly line with all the axles and the tc and tranny teed into it as well. My question is some people on here are doing this already and putting the inlet in the air cleaner housing on the pre filter side. Wouldnt it be a little bit more effective to put the line in the post filter side of the air intake system? My thinking is you can get some albeit small amount of vacuum that way. My only concearn is the shaft that is in the tranny that runs into the bellhousing. Its unsealed and i assume that it is lubed just by tranfer of oil since it is above the oil level in the tranny. Would putting a small vacumm on the system prevent this point from getting lube then while driving?

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No. I wouldnt put the axle vents after the engine air cleaner. you are right there is some vacuum, but that would only want to suck in water if you do that style of driving. If anything you could tie all the vents together and use a standard round fuel filter element as an air filter for the vents. make sure the vent lines go straight up from the axles and such before making a bend incase any oil splashes in them, it will allow it to drain back down. I think atmosphere pressure is just fine, but thats my $.02. Thats whats so great about this hobby, everybody does something different and we all learn from what we do...like a little science expirament:-D

1978davidw

Im not taking my truck in any deep water or anything like that so im not worried aobut sucking water up the lines. My main reason for doing this is i been getting pressure built up in my axles from those crappy bobblehead vents getting stuck. I thought the negative pressure differential would also be great for those small unsightly leaks.

RAYZER

I think a little pos pressure is ok (1 or 2 psi ) which is about what you get when the drivetrain builds to before the vents pop off when working properly,when they get stuck on a hot day they build up enough pressure to blow the lube out past the seals. if you have neg pressure in the drive train and had to run through deep water, then neg pressure might suck the water in past the seals, not good. when a truck is equiped with a fording kit, the system is pressureized via a air pressure regulator to pos pressure.

jasonjc

I thought the bell housing was the only thing pressureized in the deep water fording kit. And that the axles, trans and trafer all got ventted thought the eng air filter house.?.??:-?

DieselBob

From what I can see in TM 9-2320-361-34P, Figure 294. Deep Water Fording Kit, the bell housing is the only one pressurized. The trans. transfer and axles seem to keep the bobble head vent.

Heavysteven

I heard the same only bell housing gets pressurized with fordging kit. I would vent all to the cab.

Hmmm....where does the fuel tank and master cylinder vent to?

DieselBob

In TM 9-2320-361-20 and TM 9-2320-361-34P it doesn't show or mention any different venting for the fuel tank or mc with the deep water fording kit.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think the deep water fording requires ending the air compressor intake to the air filter housing. Also the fuel tank and brake vents are moved to the top of the firewall .

1978davidw

They dont have to come together but the idea of taking htem all to the air cleaner housing it just makes it difficult to run that many lines.

RAYZER

i ran a 1/4" line on the inside of the frame from the rear axle vent to a barb threded into tth top of the air can(outboard of the air filter) and tee'd all other vents into that main line, worked very well, found all the fittings i needed at ace hardware, a good oil resistant line should be used.

Attachments