• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Axle upgrade

Onestar

So I am looking for any knowledge or opinions about the possible setup.

I have a M1009 and found a sweet deal on a Dana 60 fromt and a corporate 14 bolt rear. The front has no rotors but not a big deal I planned on doing brakes when I got them. 4.10 gears in them, and they came off a truck with under 100000 miles.

Anyone that has done these or has knowledge about this would be great.

Dukeboy

Zach, I did the "1 ton conversion" on my K5, it's still a ways away from running but I'll try to offer what help I can. What vehicle did these come off of? Is the Dana 60 missing rotors or complete hub assemblies? Are you running or planning a lift at this time? I used Off Road Design for my lift and spring perches, u-bolt flip, and other fasteners you're going to need. There's alot of good information on that site as well. On the 14FF you'll need to cut-off and weld new spring perches the correct distance apart ( don't have it infront of me ) some will say you don't need to, my opinion is you do. The 14FF snout is longer than your 10-bolt, your stock d-shaft will need to be shortened if you're not replacing it and you'll need a combination u-joint. Front shaft I can't remember cause I changed/moved stuff around and went with new on both ends. Obviously you'll need wheels 16" atleast to clear the D60 calipers, unless you grind them cause you want to use your 15" tires. It's late, I'm starting to bable, this is a popular swap and there is lots of good info out there under K5 one ton conversion. good luck

Gottlos

Former 95B Ft Sam Houston
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I didn't have the space or skill to do the swap on my own so I had to have it done. I can only tell you that it is a fantastic idea. The 4.10 gears really help out when pulling hills. Good luck.