• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Axle Vent Anatomy

3rdmdqm

Here are some pics for those wondering what makes up the axle vent. After what appeared to be an axle seal leak, I took mine off to clean. Fixed the leak for a while but leak is back. Took the vent off again and there is pressure building up as you could hear the pssst when I removed it. Cleaned out the vent and replaced. Let sit 24 hours, took vent out again and heard pssst again, meaning that the heat from the day created pressure just sitting still and not driving it. I guess only way to ensure no pressure is to get rid of the rubber seal and spring and run hose up to the frame open with a filter on the end that is free flowing and doesn't hold any pressure. The spring and rubber seal holds some pressure no matter what until the pressure builds enough to force up the seal against the spring. Don't know how much pressure it takes to start forcing the gear oil out of the seals. Of course next step now is axle seal replacement in addition to the vent modification.

To remove axle vent, use a 7/16" wrench. You can remove the top of the vent by holding vent where wrench goes (do not touch threads) in a vice or with channel locks and use a small flathead screwdriver to carefully pry off the top which is secured by small crimps.

Attachments

Heavysteven

I replaced all of my spring vents, axle, transfer, and transmission with new ones. Worth the peace of mind.

Had the old front axle vent plug and blew out an axle seal.

nhdiesel

Those spring-style vent caps are garbage, they always act up. They are similar to what used to come on many Toyota and Suzuki 4x4s. Unless you want to keep the truck original, you are better off replacing the cap with a barbed fitting and run a hose up high above the highest possible water level. For something that can get into really serious conditions, like a Deuce, you can even make a vent system that ties all the axles, trans and t-case together and run one vent up high in the engine compartment.

Jim

number9

Those spring-style vent caps are garbage, they always act up. They are similar to what used to come on many Toyota and Suzuki 4x4s. Unless you want to keep the truck original, you are better off replacing the cap with a barbed fitting and run a hose up high above the highest possible water level. For something that can get into really serious conditions, like a Deuce, you can even make a vent system that ties all the axles, trans and t-case together and run one vent up high in the engine compartment.

Jim
I just replaced mine a couple weeks ago. Still have to do the tranny and T-case.

Pics in this post http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/...eplace-relocate-other-vents-3.html#post601907

nhdiesel

To add in another suggestion about venting...I saw the guy in that thread who asked about wanting to pressurize the system. that is something I did on one of my old Samurais. I tied all of the vents together, then tapped into the exhaust to get a very small amount of pressure. The theory behind this is a very small pressure inside the components won't hurt them, but will help keep water from coming in past the seals. I did this on my hardcore off roader that saw lots of time in water over the hood (had a snorkel I built for it). The nice thing, is that I no longer had to do fluid changes every time i went in the deep stuff. Because there is very low pressure, and no gasses are actually being pushed into the components, the exhaust won't hurt them. At least not nearly as much as water would.

I wouldn't do that for anything except a hardcore off roader though.

Jim

HunterW

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I am having difficulty locating my axle vents. After searching all over I see nothing that looks like a vent, no lines other than brake lines, anything.

Were there different styles of vents, or am I going nuts?

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I am having difficulty locating my axle vents. After searching all over I see nothing that looks like a vent, no lines other than brake lines, anything.

Were there different styles of vents, or am I going nuts?
Sit down in front of your truck and get a good view of the front axle. Locate the "pumpkin" where the differential sits. Now look on top of the axle beam, to the side of the pumpkin, and look for the silvery looking little mushroom thingy. That is the axle vent. Its anatomy is explained in the thread here.

Similar vents sit on top of the tranny, the transfer case and the two rear axles. If you cannot see the vents on the tranny and transfer case, run your hand up along the casing and try to feel for the vent. The moveable cap is characteristic and you should be able to feel it, if not see it.

HunterW

Thanks for the info. However, I have done the research and know what they look like and where they're SUPPOSED to be located... they're just not there. On any three of my axles.

I guess my question should be... Why don't I have these vents? And is there any other way that rockwell axles may be vented?

Thanks again!

zak

Check the dates on your axles. Mine are 1953 and they have no vents. It was a gasser originally and went through a depot rebuild in 1988. Somewhere between gasser and multifuel, vents were added in the design.

busbart

To add in another suggestion about venting...I saw the guy in that thread who asked about wanting to pressurize the system. that is something I did on one of my old Samurais. I tied all of the vents together, then tapped into the exhaust to get a very small amount of pressure. The theory behind this is a very small pressure inside the components won't hurt them, but will help keep water from coming in past the seals. I did this on my hardcore off roader that saw lots of time in water over the hood (had a snorkel I built for it). The nice thing, is that I no longer had to do fluid changes every time i went in the deep stuff. Because there is very low pressure, and no gasses are actually being pushed into the components, the exhaust won't hurt them. At least not nearly as much as water would.

I wouldn't do that for anything except a hardcore off roader though.

Jim
Though the UNIMOG U-1300 (german army) has that system standard, but it pressurises the axles and gearbox only when in 4X4 mode.

just my.02 cents,

Bart

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
when you run the vent tube to the fire wall, on the firewall end install a cheap gas inline filter, this keeps dirt/dust from being drawen in

nchittendon

I am looking to get rid of my vents.

First question, can the vents on the T-case and tranny be gotten to easier by removing the hump in the cab?

I plan to run tubing from all components up into the airbox.

2nd question, pertaining to that: Do I run a different tube all the way to the airbox for each component, or can I tee them into each other and run only one line to the airbox?

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am looking to get rid of my vents.

First question, can the vents on the T-case and tranny be gotten to easier by removing the hump in the cab?

I plan to run tubing from all components up into the airbox.

2nd question, pertaining to that: Do I run a different tube all the way to the airbox for each component, or can I tee them into each other and run only one line to the airbox?
Tie 'em together and run one line to the airbox, use "T" fittings to bring in each additional vent.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks