• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Axle vents and off roading

Rattlehead

Need to replace an axle vent that stuck on me (internally, the cap moves freely) and squeezed lube out of a couple of seals. Has anyone modified theirs with pipes/hose, other options to prevent mud/water contamination or blockage? It would be simple to do, but I also worry about condensation building up and causing more problems, especially if below freezing.

It also seems that many of the MV parts dealers don't carry the stock vents. Boyce has them but they have a $25 min order. Guess I could have them throw in a set of super singles, eh? :lol:

Jones

I'm mounting the vents for the baby HEMTT high on the outside of the bed headboard. My only tip would be to make sure the connecting tubing always runs uphill. That way, any fumes that condense into oil/gear lube will run back into the gearcase and not puddle and congeal into a plug.
Same way with the line that comes from the air compressor to the air tanks; always keep a little down grade so oil vapors and condensation end up in the tanks where the drains can take care of them.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: Axle vents and off roading

Towerguy1 said:
I believe cranetruck has done a simular modification, I'm looking into it myself. I'm going to run some lines and vent them up high.
Right, I'm actually able to pressurize all axle housings, transfer as well as the bellhousing/transmission (standard fording kit option).
Pressure is about 2 to 3 psi.
Remember to keep a tight seal around the shift lever for proper pressurization of the transmission.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: RE: Axle vents and off roading

Possibly, but it was mentioned in the "fording" articles, perhaps a more detailed description is in order......

jwaller

I'd like to know how you get that 2-3psi output? do you have a line on a regulator that will do this with the range of psi's that our trucks have? I'd think just abuot anybody can figure out how to run lines into the fittings on the diff's and tranny.

jwaller

thats what I figured. I'm still tring to find a civy reg to do that bc I cant find a milspec orig one.

Rattlehead

I had another thought on this topic. I believe the original vents are designed to hold a small amount of pressure (1 psi?) at all times, above which they release to the atmosphere. They also, upon cooling, do not allow any reverse flow back into the axle, for the purpose of not allowing water in if suddenly submerged in cold water. So if this is the true operation, wouldn't the axle seals give in to the negative pressure in the axle once dipped in cool water?

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Rattlehead said:
.... wouldn't the axle seals give in to the negative pressure in the axle once dipped in cool water?
In case of different pressure inside/outside that seal is designed to act like a check valve. The greater the (water) pressure from outside (or neg. press. inside because of cooling) the more it's sealing lip is forced against the (polished!) bearing cup edge. I think a healthy seal would be capable of holding many times the pressure equivalent to 6 feet fording depht (3 psi)!

It is more likely that water could enter by the companion flange std. seals. That's why some of us put two seals in each retainer, the outer one with the lip facing outward. Just in case...! :wink:

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My -725 has full system vent line vacuum. In other words, all the gearboxes are vented, both axles, the tranny and transfer case, distributor, and all parts of the engine, are sealed and under vacuum, connected to the underside of the air cleaner assembly. Unless the water is 48 inches tall, they stay dry! :)

Lax

A real do it your self article that was not toooo technical would be great Cranetruck! I would love to make my M35 deep water fordable but I do not even know where to start looking for the parts, etc. Thanks for all your help guys.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Lax said:
A real do it your self article that was not toooo technical would be great Cranetruck!.....
Very flattering, I think I spend too much time on this forum, it pre-empties any subject I would previously write about. Since joining this site, I have only written two articles, the biodiesel one and one on vehicle grounding and they were both pretty much done almost two years ago...

Wonder how many MVM pages 4,000 posts are worth. :roll:

Lax

I like the idea of the Jeep vent. Wouldn't it work if i ran the vent tubes from the axles, etc along the bottom of the bed and up to an area near the rear window. I know it is a lot of vent tube but that would put all the vents up real high. Or would it be better to just use the Jeep vents like the pictures above and when underwater the vents do there thing?? Or the last option is to pressurize everything and not worry about it. What do you guys think.

rmgill

cranetruck said:
Lax said:
A real do it your self article that was not toooo technical would be great Cranetruck!.....
Very flattering, I think I spend too much time on this forum, it pre-empties any subject I would previously write about. Since joining this site, I have only written two articles, the biodiesel one and one on vehicle grounding and they were both pretty much done almost two years ago...

Wonder how many MVM pages 4,000 posts are worth. :roll:

Sounds like you have a bunch of articles written already. You just need to assemble them.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks