• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Axle vents

Bowtie70SS

I was changing the fluid in my rear most differential and I decided to take the jiggly cap vent out to make sure it was not clogged. I had a little oil on the inside of the rear rim but for the life of me I could not see where it came out of. Obviously the fluid is from the rear diff. When I had the vent out I tried both blow through in and suck to see if it was clogged. Sure enough it was clogged so I cleaned it out with brake parts cleaner and blew it out, good as new. I have run into situations with cars and trucks where a leak would develop because of a clogged vent, I am thinking that is what happened here. Anyone else have experience with this?

Ford Mechanic

I was thinking about doing that as well. I will pick up some parts next time I go to the pull and pay junkyard.
?????? 3 hose barbs with 1/8th npt threads on the end, 2 T fittings with hose barbs, a roll of hose, several hose clamps, and a bag of zip ties. Plumb all 3 together and run up above the air filter box

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
May as well do the transmission and T case too.

Gunzy

Run those vents high enough and you can increase you wading depth without the expense and trouble of installing the fording kit. This is what a lot of off roaders do to their trucks. Good idea.

steelandcanvas

70Deuce (a Club Member) used something like this to do his remote vent project:
They are push in connectors for plastic/vinyl tubing. They come in straights, tees, and elbows.

Attachments

Last edited:

brianp454

I pulled all of them from the axles shortly after purchasing the truck and they all were packed with crud. I'm convinced they were plugged. I cleaned them by using degreaser and a solvent tank that eats oils. Also swabbed them out with Q-tips till squeaky clean.

I just recently pulled the drums from all rear axles and the grease and 90W was blown out all over the brakes. One of them barely had grease left on the bearings! Cleaning the hubs and inside of the drums took forever. My braking is definately better now. I agree with the guys that run the vents up by the air box. It's cheap, easy, and may save lots of headaches, potential breakdowns, etc. An ounce of prevention...

Ford Mechanic

Something I've been pondering is why they just didn't use oil bath bearings instead of grease packed???? I work on lots of trucks with full float rear axles that have never had any issues. Any one know if Rockwells under any other application run oil bath bearings? Wonder if a retrofit kit would be worth the hassle????

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Something I've been pondering is why they just didn't use oil bath bearings instead of grease packed???? I work on lots of trucks with full float rear axles that have never had any issues. Any one know if Rockwells under any other application run oil bath bearings? Wonder if a retrofit kit would be worth the hassle????
There are threads discussing that very same subject: modern inner hub seals? or Axle Seal/Hub Thoughts

Besides that a suggestion........... from our list of Rules: • Keep your posts on-topic.

G.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If the presure cap was put there from the start is it wise to change out to a no pressure cap. If the rears and or transfer case hold 2lb of pressure then would it not help hold out water when fording? Seems like we should just use the pressure type just be shure to check / clean them. The ones on the over the road axles do not build pressure I believe.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
.....If the rears and or transfer case hold 2lb of pressure then would it not help hold out water when fording? ..................
Yes, but only for the first half minute or so, until everything has cooled down enough. After that you will probably end with a slight vacuum inside...!
Ideally we should run at zero pressure difference, either way.

BTW: fording 4 feet of water means about 27 inches water column over the hub seals, which would require only 1 psi to compensate.

G.

quickfarms

Growing up we used to swim trucks all the time. We just extended the breathers to the top of the bed or firewall.

The key is to check all fluids after swimming, but we rarely found any water. Another thing you need to do after swimming is to was the vehicle, especially inside the brake drums.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks