• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Axle Vents

rmgill

Why are they not tapped into a combined vent/breather system on the trucks to keep them out of water when fording?

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The deep water fording kits have a air valve to pressureise the bellhousing, tranny, t-case and axles through the vents. The regulator is set at 2psi. Good for about 4 feet of water. It then vents into the crankcase vent tube that somes off of the valve covers. One could make thier own set up pretty easly. I've been told the marines were the only ones to use the fording kits. I've had mine in water to the hood during tropical storm allison. It works well, but you still need to clean and grease wheel bearings and all grease fittings after fording.

rmgill

My M813A1 didn't have the lines to the axles and just had normal vents on the axles. Which had me thinking there wasn't an issue there.

How long after you ford do you have to grease the axles? Seems a bit tough to come out of the water and then grease them right there.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ryan, only the bell housing and the transmission are pressurized after you plug the bell housing and pull the fording handle on the dash. The breather valve by the shift lever will vent the air continously when bellhousing is pressurized (to about 2 psi, like Ken said). The boot around the shift lever must be tight in order to hold the pressure.
Outside pressure will close the breather valves on the axle housings and transfer case. The batteries also have vents that are waterproof to about 4 ft.
In water over 2 ft, the crankcase breather must be extended up and above the hood. Compressor intake is connected to the engine air intake canister.
After fording: You must take apart all wheels and check seals, there is no other way to confirm that the seals held or not. Big job. Do it within days. This goes for fording any water that will submerge the axles.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks