• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Axle wrap with a bobbed deuce?

blackrock

Blackrock, do you have a build thread? I was guessing 48" and 1 1/4 thread...they look beefy. Is there a back side to the frame mount and a straight pin/bearing or is that more like a ball joint? Would semi tie rod ends work?

Welldigger, Please explain why the dog-bones would not be suitable for a four link? I understand the role of the spring in keeping it straight and in line, but the spring and it's axle mounts would be entirely removed, replaced by bones. There must be a Panhard or Watt's link for sideways motion, but I cannot imagine a better setup for the four forward links that connect the axle to the frame and provide for perfect drive alignment throughout the travel (if pivot points are correct). The flexibility of the ends seems perfect, from what I see. The extra two bones would make a dandy Watts link, perhaps.
Nah i have some pics if you want me to post them up. It was for a customer who picked it up last week. Its a heim joint which is a type of ball and socket setup.

The Bracket had 3 bolts in the bottom but it did not go up the inside of the frame.

tobyS

I'm bringing this back up to ask for opinions on the four link, using dog bones as links in a "4 link" rear suspension. Plus Watt's link for side movement with air bags. No axle wrap allowed.

I'm about to do "bones" on my A3 deuce. Frame is not being shortened, but the rear axle placement is 12" further forward.

I started a thread about the change to 4 x 4 here.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?167671-M35A3-6x6-to-4x4-project

Given that it articulates quite well as a three link + springs, I cannot see any reason to change the basic geometry of it's up and down movement. Am I missing something, as it seems obvious to have merits... since the 6x6 has 6 of them.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks