• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

AZ: Deuce Shop Van RV Tow Rig

tjphoto

Thought I would post up here since know I will have many questions. Just bought a Deuce 2 weeks ago from the Falcon Field USAF Museum in Mesa Arizona for a great price. Its a 1952 Kaiser Gas Deuce with a shop van on the back in great condition. It only has 15000 original miles on it with all manuals and records back to the early 60's. We plan on turning it into an RV/ tow rig for short trips and maybe up to Flagstaff.

The truck came with new tires, batteries, belts, hoses and many spare parts like air filters, gaskets and about 10 vintage army jackets.

So far we have replaced the fuel pump with a Napa rotary vane design, new distributor cap and Radiator cap, fuel filter. It runs great but tops out at 52. Think it would hit 55 is I floored it but don't want to take my chances with the older motor.

So far we have driven it about 200 miles with the only problem the fuel pump going out which was an easy fix.

The interior needs some work and also needs a new top as scene in photos.

Went to go see Hundy about a month ago but the diesel turbo were just to loud since we have a 10 moth old that we plan on taking her with us. Almost killed my dream of having a deuce until I found this one on Craigslist

Build Plans
1. Figure out what is up with the winch have not experience with a PTO
2. Some kind of interior replacement with keeping the original look
3. Convert Back into living quarters as well as add a AC
4. Mount a Honda EU 3000 Generator the Box is already wired
5. Figure out how to safely mount a trailer that can tow 4500 pounds
6. Replace Spark Plugs
7. Fix Exhaust leak need to find the correct manifold gasket

Here is my other build needs to update much closer to being done but need to update
Project Layze MOO - Pirate4x4.Com Bulletin Board

Attachments

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is in nice condition! If you want some speed, you can put a multifuel OD transmission in. Otherwiuse is is a 50-55MPH truck just like the multifuel.

m109guy

Pretty darn decent shape for an old gaser. Looks like you have something good and solid to work with.

area52

The frame rails are all the same on the rear. There are a few threads on here about installing a receiver hitch( Curtis?) that will let you pull a regular car trailer.

Looks nice but its gonna be slow going towing anything. The non turbo diesel exhausts out the rear/back and is alot quieter than a turbo version or your could put a muffler on it.

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Cool. Nice to see that someone local got the truck. About 3 weeks ago, I looked all over that truck. It looked very straight and I don't remember seeing any rust.

There was a padlock on the back door and as we were standing there, a guy from the CAF bypassed the lock by cutting the handle! I'm sure you can replace it with one from another shop van. The dataplate inside the truck is incorrect, but I believe this is a M185.

tigger

Medic.
In Memorial
nice truck. do you have the napa part number for that fuel pump I need to get a new one for mine. nice to see another gaser.

phil2968

That's a great looking truck! I love the windows in the doors, something my M109 will have one day. At least in the big door, never knew they had windows in the small door! That window would be hard to find.

I think us M109/M185 guys need our own forum! :grin:

I am also doing a camper conversion.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
That is an awesome truck, so clean!

You 109 guys are like your own little club :D

Brian Thomas

You are in for a big surprise when you try to really use it. I love my gasser and it tons of fun but I could never use it like that. Too slow, loves gas, and a bitch to drive but very fun none the less. Have fun with it. A drive a ccrossed town and back in traffic is a lot of work.

Katahdin

I love the look of the old shop van. Was the ladder behind the passenger side door original equipment or a mod?

Beautiful shape, I'm jealous of how well vehicles are preserved for you guys in dry climates.

tjphoto

Did not realize I posted this in the wrong forum. i hope some body can help
Yesterday I was going through and greasing up the points checking for leaks when I realized this bolt was missing on the bottom of the bell housing. Well I found a bolt to replace no problem but my only concern is If I have lost any fluid. Its my understanding in past vehicles that I have worked on there is no fluid in the bell housing where the clutch is.

I checked the tranny and it was a bit low but nothing to worry about it the rear out put shaft is leaking but not bad.

Do I replace this bolt or is some kind of vent would be a weird place for a vent for the Clutch. Been looking through all the manuals with not much info on the bellhousing maybe I am not using them corrrect.

So the question is does the Bell housing contain fluid if so which kind?
Please see pic

Attachments

Pawnshop

I am very jealous of all your windows, NICE SCORE! I wish my interior was as clean as yours... My M109A3, multifuel non-turbo (w/muffler) is very quiet and very slooow, 52mph downhill, I think the only advantage a multi would give you is fuel economy. Driving a M109 is like smoking a cigar on the porch, you aren't getting anywhere quickly, just sit back and enjoy the experience:)

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nothing is missing. The hole should be open. The bolt in the other hole next to it can go in the open hole temporarily to prevent water from going in. You need a drain in the bell housing to avoid pressure build up.

tjphoto

Nothing is missing. The hole should be open. The bolt in the other hole next to it can go in the open hole temporarily to prevent water from going in. You need a drain in the bell housing to avoid pressure build up.
Thanks for the info I was worried the bolt came out a some special military lube that napa does not sell had leaked out destroying my clutch.
Thanks been trying to look it up for a few hours now

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks