• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

B-17 Flying Fortress

Another Ahab

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks, Tracer.

So he'd drop down from his station and fire it, what, from a seated position?

He's definitely not standing in there. Do you know?
Turret 1.jpgTurret 2.jpgTurret 3.jpgTurret 4.jpgTurret 5.jpgTurret 6 .jpg Brother Ahab. The best I could do. No the bombardier sits and the controls for the chin turret fold out of the way when not in use.

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Swoose.jpgSwoose 1.jpgThe Swoose 2.jpgSwoose LA.jpgThe Swoose 4.jpgThe Swoose today.jpg My favorite B-17. The B-17D Swoose (half swan/half goose) is the oldest surviving B-17, and the only shark fin example left in the world. She was in action from the beginning of WW2 to the end, flying bombing and recon. missions in the Pacific theater. At one time she was so badly damaged in combat, that the tail section of another B-17 was grafted on. Later in the war she was used to ferry Lt. Col. Lyndon B. Johnson, and other high ranking officers around the Pacific. She is now undergoing restoration at the Smithsonian that is expected to take several years.

waayfast

The Swoose!!! Seems I remember another angle to the story on that B-17--- The actress Swoosie Kurtz is named after the airplane- her Dad flew it during the war.

Jim

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your spot on Jim. Col. Frank Kurtz piloted the Swoose during the war, and after the war, he was responsible for saving the aircraft after it was sent to Arizona for scrapping. In the 4th photo Col. Kurtz is standing 3rd from left. The older gentleman standing next to the young lady is the Mayor of Los Angeles.

Another Ahab

These vids are a little on the long side, and this is the third of a three-part series (10 +/- minutes here).

But it's pretty astounding the level of detail going into the model making.

I haven't even checked it all out myself yet, but a fast forward to 18:35 +/- will give you the summary

https://youtu.be/HnPIwu-ZitE

Last edited:

Guyfang

Staff member
I also got a chance to ride in 909 it was worth the $$$.

Just opened up my new copy of Air and Space, and there was an article about the Collings Foundation's 2017 Wings of Freedom Tour. The B-17 909 belongs to the foundation. They also have a B-24J, (the only flying B-24J left in the world) a B-25, a P51D and the B-17G, 909.

Take a look at the Foundation's web page, and you just might find that they are in your neck of the woods. The cost of a flight is a bit high, but wild horses could not keep me from just one time doing it!!

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
XB-38 Allison Engines.jpg B-17 Dart engines.jpgB-17 P&W T-34.jpgPratt-Whitney_T-34_B-17.jpgWright Typhoon.jpgB-17 Wright Typhoon.jpgChampagn Lady .jpgJB-17G 5 Engine Test Bed.jpgBert Rutan B-17X.jpg Just some pictures of the B-17 in service as a flying engine test bed. 1. During WW2 the Air Corps. wanted a back up engine for the Wright R1820 radial engine, so the B-17 became the Allison V1710 powered XB-38. The XB-38 was slightly faster, but the need for a backup engine didn't materialize. 2. After the war someone wanted to test the Rolls Royce Dart turbo prop engine, and a B-17F test aircraft was fitted with 4 of them. 3/4. Pratt & Whitney used a B-17 to test the T-34 turbo prop engine by mounting 1 T-34 engine in the nose. The T-34 put out more HP than all four of the standard radials (note feathered props). 5/6. Curtiss-Wright used a B-17G to test the Wright Typhoon turbo prop engine. Again (note feathered props). 7. The Champagne Lady, a B-17G under restoration in Ohio, is the Wright Typhoon test aircraft, it's being restored as a B-17G. 8. A 5th R1820 radial engine was installed in the nose of a B-17 to test the performance of the aircraft with the extra radial engine. 9. The picture speaks for it's self. :shock:

Last edited:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
View attachment 689633 View attachment 689634View attachment 689635View attachment 689636View attachment 689637View attachment 689638View attachment 689639View attachment 689640View attachment 689641 Just some pictures of the B-17 in service as a flying engine test bed. 1. During WW2 the Air Corps. wanted a back up engine for the Wright R1820 radial engine, so the B-17 became the Allison V1710 powered XB-38. The XB-38 was slightly faster, but the need for a backup engine didn't materialize. 2. After the war someone wanted to test the Rolls Royce Dart turbo prop engine, and a B-17F test aircraft was fitted with 4 of them. 3/4. Pratt & Whitney used a B-17 to test the T-34 turbo prop engine by mounting 1 T-34 engine in the nose. The T-34 put out more HP than all four of the standard radials (note feathered props). 5/6. Curtiss-Wright used a B-17G to test the Wright Typhoon turbo prop engine. Again (note feathered props). 7. The Champagne Lady, a B-17G under restoration in Ohio, is the Wright Typhoon test aircraft, it's being restored as a B-17G. 8. A 5th R1820 radial engine was installed in the nose of a B-17 to test the performance of the aircraft with the extra radial engine. 9. The picture speaks for it's self. :shock:
Pic #9 certainly shows how Burt can think outside the box.

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Polka Dot B-17.jpgChaplain, I couldn't help but post the Burt Rutan picture. It just looked like something that he would design. A Cunard B-17, who would believe it. Then again who would believe a Polka Dot B-17. :wink:

85CUCVtom

I just went for a ride in one yesterday. Madras Maiden out of Oklahoma is in town for the week for pubic rides and tours. If you haven't gone up in one yet, make it a point to do so. It was truly awe-inspiring and you really get a feel for what service was like in those aircraft.

I'll get some photos up later tonight when I get home form work.

Last edited:

Another Ahab

A list of the variants.

Interesting how the Navy got their knickers in a knot about the Army intruding on "their" territory with the YB variant, and lodging a complaint with the War Office. Also interesting how Curtis Lemay was the navigator for that "Navy" mission.

The YB variant is the second listing in the article. Check it out:

85CUCVtom

Some of you might know that my fiance and I are both photographers; she works for a local newspaper and I freelance (in addition to my day job). That being said, I got a phone call Friday afternoon from her about an extra spot on the media flight yesterday morning. A few phone calls later and a talk with my boss, I was off work Monday and ready to fly!

The guys that maintain this aircraft are the nicest people you could meet. I talked at length with their mechanic Jon Eads. He travels wherever the plane goes, driving and truck and trailer full of tools and repair parts catering to the aircrafts every need. We had beautiful weather for flying and the ride was absolutely exhilarating. Madras Maiden will be at Burke-Lakefront airport this upcoming weekend for rides and ground tours. Check it out if you can!

B17_1.jpg

B17_2.jpg

B12_12.jpg

B17_3.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks