• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

B-17 Flying Fortress

Another Ahab

This is Tante Ju. A JU-52, built in 1936. The lufthansa restored her. There is about 7-8 airworthy JU-52's in the world. There are at least two here in germany, and several non flyable aircraft also.
They were the lifeline for the Sixth Army of General Paulus at Stalingrad.

But if I remember right, Göring made up a fiction for Hitler about the number of support aircraft the Luftwaffe had to provision Paulus.

There were horrendous stories of Sixth Army soldiers storming the JU-52's on touchdown, desperate for a way out.

War is not a good thing.

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
7-23-16-960-Ford-Tri-Motor-NC80407-EAA-0013.jpgGuyfang, I had a similar experience. Back in the 60s I was in Solvang CA walking around town, when I heard a loud noise. I looked up, and flying over head was a Ford Tri-Motor aircraft. And as you said, going so slow you'd think she'd fall from the sky.

Last edited:

boatman69

Ford tri-motor, aka Tin Lizzy. Now I'm only 48 yrs. That has got to the loudest and slowest thing I've ever been in! They still make sort trips in Port Clinton Ohio.

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
TWA 1.jpgTWA 2.jpgTWA 3.jpgTWA 4.jpgTWA 5.jpgTWA 6.jpgTWA 7.jpgTWA 8.jpg I just ran across this short article with pictures on postwar B-17 modifications. On 8-9-1946 TWA had Boeing convert B-17G 44-85728 to an executive aircraft at their Seattle facility. Boeing designated the conversion as the Boeing model 299AB. TWA used the aircraft to transport executives around Europe and the Middle East. TWA then sold the aircraft to the Shah of Iran in April of 1947. The aircraft eventually ended up operating for a French survey company.

Another Ahab

View attachment 705745View attachment 705746View attachment 705747View attachment 705748View attachment 705749View attachment 705750View attachment 705751View attachment 705752 I just ran across this short article with pictures on postwar B-17 modifications. On 8-9-1946 TWA had Boeing convert B-17G 44-85728 to an executive aircraft at their Seattle facility. Boeing designated the conversion as the Boeing model 299AB. TWA used the aircraft to transport executives around Europe and the Middle East. TWA then sold the aircraft to the Shah of Iran in April of 1947. The aircraft eventually ended up operating for a French survey company.
I wonder if that was Mossadeq?

He was the democratically elected head-of-state in Iran that Mr. Dulles and his CIA (in their infinite wisdom) had "removed".

We've been paying the price ever since. :roll:

Cool that his "limo" though was an old B-17.

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wonder if that was Mossadeq?

He was the democratically elected head-of-state in Iran that Mr. Dulles and his CIA (in their infinite wisdom) had "removed".

We've been paying the price ever since. :roll:

Cool that his "limo" though was an old B-17.
Ahab, you made me think. So I did a little digging, and the Shah at that time (1947) was Mohammad Reza Pahlavi, Sept 16 1941 to Feb 11 1979. I thought Mohammad Pahlavi assumed power in the 1950s. I didn't know that he had been in power since 1941........I learned something new today.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks