• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

B-20 Biodiesel, Ultra low Sulfur diesel in old diesel engines, like military

ichudov

I stopped at the pump to buy some diesel fuel for my "welding shop on wheels" and home generator, and perhaps even for a Ford L9000 semi tractor that I still have to pick up from auction.

I was slightly spooked by a sticker that said "B-20 biodiesel" up to 20% biological fluids. Plus itis low sulfur.

I drove away and decided to ask here. Is that stuff acceptable for old diesel engines? Old military generators etc?

Thanks

jaymcb

Many users who've used it here note a smell from the B20, and a lower power output. <y A3 does NOT like it.

Also, on older equipment, low sulfur diesel should be supplemented by an IP lubricant like Howe's or power service.

My 2c.

preyn2

I drive a fire truck for a living. My employer, whose name I shall not mention under penalty of a stern talking to, buys B20. It's politically green. My fire truck does not like it. It spits and sputters and blows white smoke.

ichudov

Guys, sorry for a dumb question, but is non-biodiesel still available?

Unlike, say, truckers, I may need to store my fuel for years. I do not want that biological stuff rotting.

i

Psywarrior

Actually, what you get now is Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel. It is 15 PPM sulfur as compared to 500 PPM in Low Sulfur Diesel. If you are using it in a pre 2007 engine, you MUST add something to increase the lubricity. Howes is an excellent product. As for long term storage, the bio matter is not an issue. Just treat it the same as straight diesel.

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Guys, sorry for a dumb question, but is non-biodiesel still available?

Unlike, say, truckers, I may need to store my fuel for years. I do not want that biological stuff rotting.

i
Your concern is valid.

As for long term storage, the bio matter is not an issue. Just treat it the same as straight diesel.
This ^^ is incorrect. Biodiesel will oxidize. The oxidation starts becoming a problem within about six months.

For any long term storage, if you can't get straight diesel, store kerosene. For all intents and purposes it is the same as No. 1 diesel. It has less BTUs hence less power in it, but it will run fine in diesel engines, works great for cold starts, and if you treat it with PRI-D and a biocide to prevent algae growth, it will last indefinitely.

Speedwoble

If you use biodiesel, you don't need a lubricity additive.

It is one of the slickest things you can put in your tank.

It will oxidize quicker.

It will smoke less due to its oxygen content.

It will dissolve the sludge that petroleum diesel has been leaving in your tank, so prepare to put in fuel filters until you have been running it a while.

People will lie and spread myths about it.

It can be more likely to gel depending on the feedstock they started with. For example biodiesel made from bacon grease will gel faster than biodiesel made from soybean oil.

It can have different qualities depending on who is making it. It is all supposed to meet a ASTM standard, but a lot of small companies are making it and in some cases people in their garages. If you get a bad batch, avoid that station, same as diesel.

amolaver

20% bio is quite high even for modern OTR diesels. 2% is generally acceptable in everything, and as others have said, the bio performs as the lubricant replacement in modern ULSD (vs LSD). a diesel site commissioned a lab to test various additives for their lubricity characteristics when mixed at their proscribed ratios to diesel. the results are surprising. in summary, 2% biodiesel is the best lubricity additive you can buy. short of that, walmart 2 stroke oil works great at 200:1 (about 16oz per 20gal). most of the rest of the additives perform poorly and some are a problem for specific applications (ie duramax engines do NOT want emulsifiers).

read the study here Lubricity Additive Study Results - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

ahm

dependable

Am in agreement w most of the above posts. I buy it for its added lubricity. An added bonus is that it is less smoky, this is nice esp w stationary applications such as tree chipper. Batches and suppliers do vary.

camp9

I have a lot of diesel engines, and your going to have to give it a try and see how it runs compared to regular diesel. Each engine has its favorite diet. I like B-20, and have run even higher when/if I can find it. I can remember when the low sulfer fuels came out, had a heck of a time keeping things running in the winter until they figured out how to make a good blend for winter. It's not going to hurt anything to try it, and have some fuel filters on had, and see how your engines run on it.

Last edited:

camp9

Low sulfur is the most common, at least in my part of the country. Even the stuff they deliver to the farm that can be the old high isn't, and is the low stuff. The driver has told me that don't want to mess with having a separate tank to store it, so everything is low sulfur here.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks