• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

B-24 Liberator (Consolidated)

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Bill W

As a civilian my father ferried B-24's to England via Canada just before the U.S. entered the war. When war broke out my father went to enlist and as soon as the recruiters saw his credentials they gave him a instant commission and made him a flight instructor.

USMC4302

A couple of those pictures above are actually P4Y-2's -- *very* different aircraft from a B-24 ;)

But speaking of PB4Y's (later redesignated P4Y after the bombing mission was dropped) ... most people think the B-24/P4Y was extinct after WW2. Not so. The Navy and Coast Guard kept flying P4Y-1's and P4Y-2's until approximately 1960. My dad was a photographer's mate and served with VJ-62 based out of NAS Sanford, FL in the early 1950's. He took this image while flying in an SNB (C-45) in 1952. I have the original. His normally assigned aircraft was No. 10. Ole No. 10 suffered a takeoff mishap and ended up on the rocks at the end of the runway at Argentia, Newfoundland approximately 1959 or so. The P4Y-1P was used for photographic reconnaissance and Dad flew on photo mapping missions in the Middle East in the early and mid '50's (Iran, Saudia Arabia, Iraq, etc)
View attachment 692474

The B-24 may have retired at the end of WW2, but the P4Y-1P flew along side its successor (the P2V Neptune) well into the 1950's.

Fly Navy!

Last edited:

USMC4302

um ..okay. I just dropped and gave you 20 Marine Corps pushups. Feel free to join me ;)

If anyone is at all interested in the image, just google image "VJ-62" and Dad's shot of VJ-62's P4Y-1P formation over NAS Sanford, FL will come up.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks