• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

B100 in a M1009?

rjinga

Hey everybody. I've been searching through this forum and I haven't seen anything on this issue in at least 3 years.

I've got a "fully-warranted and EPA-registered biodiesel – meeting national ASTM quality specification D-6751" producer in my county. I bought $30.00 of B20 from them yesterday (at a minimum of $.20 less than regular diesel). So far, so good.

I'd like to go with B100 in my '85 M1009 (minimum of $.40 cheaper, renewable resource, not funding questionable foreign governments), and I'd like to know what mods are required. Replace the fuel related hoses with viton? More frequent filter changes at first as the gunk is flushed out? What about the IP? Does anyone have any current, long-term use data?

PS I'm in GA so we don't get really long, cold winters, and I could switch to dinofuel then anyway.

ca1517

Run it in mine all the time. The only issue I have seen that I can blame on the b100 is the lines from the mechanical fuel got swollen up, and had to be replaced. It did seem to lose about 1 mpg on the fuel efficiency. When it was iced over here, I did not have any issues with it starting, or running at temperatures in the teens.

rjinga

Ok, I've made the switch; I've got about 3/4 of a tank of B100 in the ole girl now. I'll keep an eye on my rubber fuel lines, change the fuel filter more often, and see what happens.

The B100 was $0.27 a gallon cheaper than the cheapest regular diesel (10 miles away), and it already kinda smells like BBQ chicken. :cool:

lavarok

In the summer B100 is nice, but make sure you stick to B20 or less when the weather cools. Last year I started using about 80% bio in Late Feb/ Early March if I recall. A cold snap came through and I had 2 cucvs that would not run due to fuel gelling. Once the weather warmed up, it was fine but what a PITA it was.

rjinga

... Last year I started using about 80% bio in Late Feb/ Early March if I recall. A cold snap came through and I had 2 cucvs that would not run due to fuel gelling.
You had fuel gelling issues in Palm Bay FL?! :shock:

Last edited:

hedgehog69

In the summer B100 is nice, but make sure you stick to B20 or less when the weather cools. Last year I started using about 80% bio in Late Feb/ Early March if I recall. A cold snap came through and I had 2 cucvs that would not run due to fuel gelling. Once the weather warmed up, it was fine but what a PITA it was.
Gelling issues are directly related to original feedstock. I have seen palm oil ...in black barrels...sitting in the Iowa summer sun....solid...almost like rock. Biodiesel from animal fats is not good cool weather fuel either.
I have ran commercial and homebrew soy-based biodiesel down to 27 degrees, with no gelling issues. Fuels made with Canola oil are great for winter use. I have pumped canola oil down to 10-15 degrees. I am not sure of the actual gel temp.

lavarok

Gelling issues are directly related to original feedstock. I have seen palm oil ...in black barrels...sitting in the Iowa summer sun....solid...almost like rock. Biodiesel from animal fats is not good cool weather fuel either.
I have ran commercial and homebrew soy-based biodiesel down to 27 degrees, with no gelling issues. Fuels made with Canola oil are great for winter use. I have pumped canola oil down to 10-15 degrees. I am not sure of the actual gel temp.

That's good info. Thanks. I'll need to do some research next time I go buy bio.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks