• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Back from Afghanistan

tx399999

I got back from Afghanistan last week, but didn't get my deuce back until yesterday. They past few months I have been ordering parts and making plans. I even bought a set of G177 tires from spartan_185 while I was on leave a few months back. My wife is not impressed with my pile of parts but it is shrinking. The set of Optima 34 that I ordered came in handy when I picked the the tuck up from my buddy who was watching it. The batteries had drained completely. There seems to be a very small load somewhere in the wiring that I need to track down.

Today I started in on the tires. I decided to do them all myself just because I've never broken down the wheels on my deuce before. I picked up an impact bead breaker and a few pry bars for the job. The eleven 5 ton rims that the new tire were on broke down fairly easy, but the deuce rims are proving to be more troublesome. I got the spare swapped and one tire on the rear axle. I have decided to call it a day but am happy with what I got so far. I almost thought the spare wouldn't mount up, but it squeezed right in its spot. If I'm able to move tomorrow, then I should get close to finishing the rest.

I have a lot of projects lined up that I've been putting off since I bought the truck. Since I now have the time I should be working on the truck nearly every day.

Attachments

phil2968

When your down with yours I have 11 11:00's on 5 ton rims that need to come off! Glad your home. Get your tires on and come to the 12SSGR!

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good job, welcome home, and that's a gorgeous GSD in the middle photo!

[thumbzup]

ETA: Don't forget to spend plenty of time with your wife...keep her happy & you'll be able to do what you want with that Deuce. Your deployed time away from her was most likely harder for her than for you. Plus good girls are hard to find, so if she is one, treat her like she deserves!

Last edited:

mikew

Thanks for your service and glad you made it back safe!

I gave up trying to dismount deuce tires. After attempting a few it made my tire mans fee well worth while.

Good job on chaining the tires during inflation, I hope everyone does that.

mikew

Thanks for your service and glad you made it back safe!

I gave up trying to dismount deuce tires. After attempting a few it made my tire mans fee well worth while.

Good job on chaining the tires during inflation, I hope everyone does that.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Just so you have some extra motivation, here's what it will look like when you get it done. Also after you get done and if your steering is hinkey, here's the link to shim the front. Tire Run!

Glad you are back.

Attachments

tx399999

Thanks guys, and that's a great looking truck MWMULES. I miss the BDUs, so I always prefer the Camo.

I have decided that if I ever need to fix a flat I'll take it to a shop. I like knowing how to do repairs, but that doesn't mean I have to do them myself.

Digger09

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you for your service and welcome back. Trucks gonna look good with those tires. Nice choice.[thumbzup]

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Welcome back to the World....glad you made it back safe.

I beat many a deuce and five ton tire off the rim while in the Army.......I can't still do it but it whips my butt for a few days afterward.......that's why the local tire shop gets a lot of my money.

tx399999

I finally got the tires finished up today. I ended up cheating and taking a couple of the wheels to a tire shop to break down. I figure I broke down nineteen wheels so I’ll let someone else take care of the three that I just couldn’t get apart. While I was at it I installed a pair of lock outs from Jatonka and a new set of Monroe 34787 shocks. Both went in perfectly. I’ve heard of people having problems with the Monroe shocks but they worked great for me. After hitting all the grease points I went for a drive. It handles great and the ride is a lot smoother. The steering tracks the same as before but it doesn’t take as much effort. With the radials on and the front axle freed up I don’t have to muscle through the turns anymore. I think tomorrow I'm going to install the spin ons.

Attachments

Danger Ranger

Truck looks great, nice job. You are putting in a lot of effort in a short time, I am glad to see a project moving along. I second the "spend time with the wife thing"....

Congrats on the truck, and welcome back. Thank you.:nothingfunny:

tx399999

I have been doing my projects while the little Mrs is at work. She likes riding around in the truck, but isn't a fan of the work that goes into it.

tx399999

I changed the oil today and added the spin on adapters from Jatonka. They went on quick and look great. After letting the truck get up to operating temperature I haven’t seen any leaks. I was impressed with the workmanship of the adapters. While I was at it I changed out the speedometer adapter (NSN 2520-00-404-3098) to compensate for the 1100R20 tires. Tomorrow I will go for a drive with my GPS to make sure the speedometer reads correctly.

For anyone considering the spin ons, I have heard arguments for and against. I would say compare the filters and decide for yourself.

Original Spin On
Oil WIX 51133 WIX 51458
Primary Fuel WIX 3511 WIX 33405
Secondary Fuel WIX 3512 WIX 33336

Attachments

tx399999

I got to show off the truck today. I took it to my wife's school as part of her lesson plan. The kids had a good time with it, and even got a couple of the parents involved. I also finished my pyro install. The past couple of days I worked on the instrument cluster, rebuilt the bench seat, installed the top half of the rifle rack(to put in a gps mount), and installed the probe today.

Attachments

neilhendrix

In Memorial
In Memorial
First of all ,,welcome home and thank you for your service.
Second ,your truck looks great. keep up the fine work.
Third, I see your`re from Tulsa. I soent 33 months at Ft Sill back in the day, lots of rocks out there.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks