• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Back from Hooks (Red River AD) after 430 miles and 12 hours

K9Vic

Well I pickup up my second trailer I have bought from Hooks, TX at the Red River Army Depot and this time I did it in one day. Last time in December 2010 I left the night before and stayed over night, but that cost me an extra $60 that I did not want to spend. So this time I left at about 4:30am and arrived back home at just a little after 4:30pm. I arrived in Hooks at about 7:30 and my appointment was at 10am, so I grabbed some breakfast. After check in I helped a semi truck with a jump start as I have a 12v jumping cable system like on the tow trucks, quick connect plug. Unfortunately do to security policy on cameras no pictures as it was on base. The Army Police Officers there at the gate liked my M1009, said they do not see those to often anymore. So then I head to the DRMO officer and Angelia was very helpful and pleasure to deal with. Along with the yard worker he got the trailer out and helped me hook up the chains and light plug that was a PITA to get plugged in. Changed the blubs (1156 & 97) to 12v so I do not have to use tag lights. Great people to deal with and my pickup was easy just as last time, but two different people.

So I get check it over and all is well, tires are like brand new and checked the grease under the caps and looks new. Bonus was that I got a free green plastic 5 gallon military fuel can that was in the trailer bed. That will come in handy for sure! I then head out on the freeway and after about 20 miles I stop to check the heat on the axles, the passenger side was a little hotter then the driver side. Checked the grease and looked OK. I checked it again every 30 miles about 3 more times and it was OK. Now that I am home I will likely take it apart and repack the bearings. I had a complete set with me just in case I had to do a road side repair and almost thought I had too, but it was all OK.

So anyways I am home after a 12 hour day and 430 miles round trip in my M1009. This time I remembered to take pictures of the trailer hooked to my M101A2 as the last M101A2 I had was sold shortly after I got it home.

Attachments

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the report. Tell us about this Angelia. Is she the new Ms Neely? What is your take on condition code? :grin:

K9Vic

Thanks for the report. Tell us about this Angelia. Is she the new Ms Neely? What is your take on condition code? :grin:
Yes, Angelia is the new Ms Neely who I have only talked to on the phone when she worked there back in December 2010. So I really cannot compare in person dealings, but Angelia was very easy to work with. She returned my calls quickly and answered all my questions.

My condition code was H7, but there was nothing that I needed to fix on site to get it home. I would say it was rated in this condition because it had pealing paint in the fender wells and wheels. Everything else was good other then I am going to check and repack the bearings. I would say my first M1010A2 I got was much better as it was cleaner with no chipping paint and was listed as F7 as the tail light case was cracked.

I think they will be running out of trailers at Hooks soon, so if anyone local wants one I would jump on it it now.

Ressoldier

Sounds a lot like my recovery from Nellis a couple weeks ago. 563 miles and 13 hours later. I also stopped to check bearing temp a couple of times. Went smoothly like yours although my trailer is an A2 and doesnt look as nice as yours.

K9Vic

Anyone ever burn out their 552 flasher using a trailer? I had to replace my 1 year old turn signal flasher today and that was probably only about 10 miles after I unhooked the trailer. This time I put in a solid state flasher as that is better anyways, but the flasher should not only last a year.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks