• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Back from the dead 5 ton gasser at work

tacox22

I bought this old m52 3 years ago. Got it running after a lot of work and put it to work as an off-road haul truck. Thought I'd post some pics of the use and abuse of a 56 year old dump truck. This site has been a big help, I had no idea what I was getting into when I bought this I was told it was a multi fuel run on gas. Wow was that way off base, after a lot of digging on here and phone calls she's alive and well!

Attachments

dmetalmiki

Strewth!.....That is an imposing looking truck. When you eventually "retire" it I do so hope you restore it back to full military glory again.

tacox22

Some things I've learned along the way...... A 14ft bed on a 10ft frame is a terrible idea, 3rd stage goes up really fast when it tips over center. All of the wait is on the tail and it does not steer well loaded, front duals helped hold her down but steering is an ironman feat( but it does look awesome). Memphis equipment has ready to go reman carbs on the shelf. The gaskets that come with the engine oil filters from Napa do not fit. Finding fan belts is a multiple parts store visit adventure. There is supposedly a napa store or warehouse somewhere in Kentucky that shows 8,000 of the dual threaded end spark plugs in inventory and there are none anywhere else in the country. If the leather piece in the points ignition is dry rotted away it will foul out the plugs every time. If you add an electric pusher pump because you break off your priming lever on the fuel pump, and accidentally leave it on it will pump the entire 55 gal tank through the crankcase and out the breather. The truck will run after this and it may be the best motor flush ever invented, just be prepared with more than three 5 gallon buckets or you will have a mess on your hands. The brake system is the equivalent of a positrac in a Plymouth.... It just works....most of the time. These trucks are SKETCHY above 25 mph on the road and attempt lane changes at random, and if you stomp the brakes it will die and with front duals you have zero steering. Lastly this truck is bulletproof.... It will not die, amazing how overbuilt these old tanks are.

tacox22

I've been toying with the idea of trying to rig up a set of over the tire tracks on the back like a skidsteer. I know you can buy rubber tracks but I'd have a hard time justifying 20k tracks on a 2k truck. Anyone ever done this or seen one? I'm assuming the old half tracks were basically the same concept? Any ideas,inputs, thoughts would definitely be appreciated.

tacox22

I think finding a used sprag so the 6x6 is functioning again is the next thing to be done. Lost it in the a mud hole hauling stumps in March. It is helpless in the mud now

tacox22

I would think you could, I just bought the studs and nuts for the duals on a drive axle and added them to the front. Id assume the concept is the same on the 2.5

tacox22

I can tell you the front duals coupled with 57 year old worn out steering components= the worst death wobble ever. Especially on a cold winter morning, the old 11.00x20's flat spot big time. I can't complain, I bought the truck for the bed with the intention of buying a newer 5ton about the time they were surplusing them out of Indy. I like a challenge and thought I'd try to get her running and use it until it died, still waiting on that to happen and I think the beds going to give it up first.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks