• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Back to 24V conversion glow plug question

85CUCVtom

I have a M1009 that was converted to 12V by the previous owner. I'm working on acquiring parts to change it back to 24V. My glow plugs are on a push button and the resistors are missing from the fire wall. When i switch back to 24V do i need to need to acquire a resistor bank if i plan on keeping the push button system?

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a M1009 that was converted to 12V by the previous owner. I'm working on acquiring parts to change it back to 24V. My glow plugs are on a push button and the resistors are missing from the fire wall. When i switch back to 24V do i need to need to acquire a resistor bank if i plan on keeping the push button system?
I would take a good look at why you want to put a resistor bank back in the truck. As far as I know, the only advantage to having the resistor in place is that you can slave jump the truck if its got completely dead batteries. If the batteries are not completely dead, you can still run 24v through the slave cable to start the truck and you can always jump off of a 12v source.

I believe the advantages of a resistor bypass outweigh the benefit of leaving it stock, which to me, is a rare condition. Either way, having a good understanding of how the system works is a good plan.

I can't speak to the push button glow plugs.

Glow plugs should be left just the way they are now.The only 24 volt items are the starter and slave cable outlet in the grille.I personally would leave the glow plugs with the push button set up. Just my 2 cents. :] That resistor bank has been known to cause alot of problems for these trucks from draining batteries to catching the truck on fire.I personally dont like them but to each thier own.

85CUCVtom

I don't necessarily want to reinstall the resistor bank. I was just wondering if it was necessary to have it. So the glow plug system should stay 12V after I return the truck to 24V? I'm sorry I'm so confused this whole thing is kind of new to me.

brokedown

What is the motivation for going back to 24v? There is very little of the truck that actually is 24v, and for questionable gain. If you have NATO equipment you want to power, or a 24v trailer, or you have a bunch of these and they're all 24v, I could see it. Not many other circumstances I can think of..

NO its not necessary to have. The 24 volt bus bar on the passenger side of your firewall is all you are concerned with :] You need to down load the tms they will tell ya alot Good luck :]

The 24 volts is the way they came and its much easier to work on than most give credit.Its a reliable system as such if you Convert to 12 volts then you are on your own nothing will help you on this site if you convert to 12 volts to each thier own both my m1008s are 24volts still and they do just fine.]

Last edited:

scrambled

You do not need to replace the resistor. It lowers the voltage to the glowplugs to 12v. Just make sure that your glowplugs are fed from 12v when you switch back. Right next to the glowplug solenois is a good spot to jump the 12v off. My truck is still 24v, but I removed the resisitor and fed the glowplugs 12v.

85CUCVtom

I'm changing it back because it's just the way it's supposed to be. They work better when 24V because they were designed to be that way. I have a friend with a M1008 that is 24V and the ability to jump start each others trucks would be nice too. So it sounds like as long as my glow plug system is fed with 12V I'll be good with out the resistors.

mistaken1

Feed the glow plugs with 12V and the resistor is NOT needed.

Feed the glow plugs with 24V and the resistor IS needed. (stock form)

In theory you could use 24V glow plugs and use a 24V feed without the resistor but then again that is not stock either.

M1008driver

The 24 volts is the way they came and its much easier to work on than most give credit.Its a reliable system as such if you Convert to 12 volts then you are on your own nothing will help you on this site if you convert to 12 volts to each thier own both my m1008s are 24volts still and they do just fine.
This is not exactly a true statement. The 24 volt starter system is a good system except you cannot buy the starter in a local parts store. When you do the gp bypass you have already done half of the Roscommon 12 volt Conversion.

Since your truck is already converted you can buy all the parts you need locally as it is a K30 truck. Your remaining belts are the same ones as the K 30 truck too.

So it is my belief it comes down to personal choice. If you want to preserve the integrity of the CUCV go for it. The 12 volt system is just as reliable and you can buy parts in town.

I know many of you think this is blasphemy. I speak the truth...

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/92030-cranking-amps-uncoded.html

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In theory you could use 24V glow plugs and use a 24V feed without the resistor but then again that is not stock either.
The stock CUCV glow plug controller will not function properly with 24 volt glow plugs.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks