• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Back to 24Volt. Bad Idea?

Magnum97

So when I bought my truck it had been converted to 12 Volt by the previous owner. And he did a hack job of doing so. I've decided to go back to a 24 Volt system for the starting benefits and the factory dual alternator setup. However I couldn't find a thread with anyone that had gone back to 24 Volt from 12 Volt.

I'm really looking for any information I can find on this.

I just bought a 24 Volt engine harness, it is in shipping now.

Other then changing the starter and switching the battery cables around are there any other issues I should prepare to face?

K9Vic

I would imagine you should just reverse the 24v to 12v conversion document if you are getting the right harness. You do not need the resistor block as you can just wire to the 12v side, but if you really want to use one I have an extra I can offer you (that is if yours was removed). You need at least one CUCV 12v alternator, check eBay. If you do make this conversion document this for others and take some pictures if you can.

I have a 12v M1010 and wish it was still 24v, but was convereted before I bought it.

Magnum97

To be totally honest I don't think the resistor block is there anymore, and If it is I can't find it.
I am going to need as many photographs as possible inside a 'stock' 24 volt engine bay to even try and comprehend this.

That being said, I do plan on documenting it as best as I can.

mikelee

Just going to have to follow wiring diagrams. No telling what was done. Wiring diagrams are posted here. Change the starter relay save yourself a problem..try the Doghead relay under search. He has done well explaining this. O.E. Relays burn closed due to amperage. Lots of help on this site if need be....Good luck[thumbzup]

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 12v hack job is one reason I recommend NOT converting to 12v.

The 24v system is well documented and if it is stock most people can provide assistance.

If it is coverted, all bets are off and it will be hit and miss on trying to find help.

Post some pics and we will try to help put Humpty Dumpty back together.

rnd-motorsports

Gm in either 12 volt or the 24 volt military form is the easyest system there is to work on. I do not see any advantage to the 24 volt for a personal truck except higher cost to repair not trying to step on anybodys feelings just my 2cents. That being said the only thing that is 24 volt is starter and the jump start conection in grill nothing else and with a gear geduction starter in 12 volt no advantage for 24 volt.But if you want to switch back to 24 volt starter system read the tm and when you understand system real simple change !