• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

backing up in low

Heavysteven

Just wanted to share a driving habit I am starting to use more and more. When backing down hills or long drive ways i put the deuce in low range. Let the clutch out and let the truck move slowy. This keep it moving so i can steer and keeps me from having to apply the brakes.

Any one else find low is easier to backup in?

mcmullag

easier in low range

Yeah I use it too for backing into my storage spot where I make some turns around trailers, into my spot, in a storage yard. Set the hand throttle so engine is at about 900 at idle, put it in low and let out clutch, lets you concentrate on looking in the mirrors and steering. This allows your feet to be doing nothing, instead of clutching, braking, pressing on throttle pedal.

In parades, I also use low range, second gear. Set hand throttle so you're creeping along at pace of people walking in parade, at about 1100 or 1200 rpm, in gear. Really easy work then just steering down the middle of the street, you can keep your feet flat on the floor.

:beer:

Earth

It's all about control--match the gear to the speed, and the slower the speed the more control you will have in backing. This technique is even more important when backing trailers or manure spreaders.

DJones

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I also use low range when backing it just makes things much easier. My CDL training taught you to back very slow so that you could make corrections and put it in the hole on the first shot.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Low range is the way to go for all low speed manuvering......I keep mine in low in the yard...it is less likely to stall if you come off the clutch too quick.
There is also no bucking and lurching when moving around at low speed.

Jake0147

It's an excellent way to match your gears to your road speed. IMHO, five speeds on that truck just isn't enough... If the truck wants to move faster than you want to turn the steering wheel, then you're just needlessly roasting the clutch. I pretty much use low until I run out of gears (forward or reverse). I could be wrong, but I think that's why they synchronized the low-high shift is so that you could better utilize the low range gears.

WyoDeuce

I have been afraid to shift my t-case from low to high on the fly. Everything I know about other 4x4's says this is wrong. Do you guys go low 1-2-3-4-5 then shift to hi 1-2-3-4-5 all on the fly?

AR-MOG-GEDDON

I have a 61 M35 REO Gasser, and I use low and high like any other gear. Taking off in low then shifting to high seams as if the T-case shifts easyer from low to high than the trans from 1-2 and 3-4 so I some times use 2nd Low then 2nd High, hit 3rd 4th 5th, but when down shifting wrather than go 4-3 I'll use 4th High then 4th Low, almost the same. When Ive had it on jacks the sprag in the T-case works the same in all the gears exept revers when it works backwords.

jwright

I have found that driving around town in low works great ( all the stop lights ) Then if you need a little more speed just down shift to 4th and pull the TC into high and let out on the clutch.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't use first low for anything but soft ground and stay in that gear till I am on good ground. I don't use first high inless off road and not bad ground. I start in second low when on the road then second high 3-4-5 high and I am done. This is with out load on the truck.

Last edited:

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Low range: shift 2-3-4-5........pull range selector to HI...shift back into 4th and then up to 5th.

I can shift from high to low on the move but you have to remember to shift back up to 5th depending on speed (max in low is 28 MPH) or you take a chance on trashing a tranny or engine.

If you have a heavy load on splitting on the downshift helps keep you moving going up hill but you have to be very careful.

Capt.Marion

I only backup in Low Range. Too much can go too wrong too quickly since there is rather limited visibility immediately aft of the truck.