• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Backup camera and radio rack stuff

papakb

GPS trip computer zerod.jpgPRC-138 in Harris single mount (1).JPGOne of the first things I did when I got my truck was to install a backup camera because of the poor rearward visibility. I originally mounted the camera in the ambulance body but everyone wants to touch it so I relocated it down on the "D" Beam where it's out of sight. The image I get is perfect, the lump in the center is my pintle hoop which makes it reallu east when backing up to hookup the trailer. There's also a perfect hole right in the center of the beam to moount the camera in.

I wanted to combine things to keep the dash clear so I bought an old Garmin Streetpilot 7200 because it has a 7" display and an external video input so I can use it as a GPS, a backup camera, or a trip computer. I find that on sunny days glancing down at the speedometer only gives me a black hole while the Streetpilot gives me everything I want to know on the road. Mounted where it is on the "A" beam it doesn't block the road and I barely have to take my eyes off the road to read it.

I had a single mount SINCGARS set in the truck that I'd used for a couple of years and when I got my PRC-138 I modified the battery box so that it now clamps right into the same mount as the PRC-119. Now I can run either set and the only thing that I need to change is the antenna.

BackUpCamera1.JPG

Original backup camera

Backup camera.jpg

"D" Beam camera

Streetpilot backup camera.jpg

Streetpilot camera

G3isMe

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It looks great. I had to mount my camera under the beam for clearance. I was worried about road crudd on the lense but so far that has not been an issue.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks