• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Backup camera and stereo system install.

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So, for my birthday/father's day my girlfriend bought me the system from Those Military Guys and I installed it yesterday.

Basic overview, the set was missing some hardware (No self tapping screws etc that were referenced as "included") and the provided hole saw was worthless. Other than that I'm extremely pleased with the system and the ease of installation.

First I installed the console. Just a heads up, it is TIGHT getting your sockets behind it to tighten your roof bolts back down. I'm sure there is a tool you can use to make it easier, I just didn't have it. Also, the front fits nicely into the hold down doohickies for your roof.

20210713_155436.jpg

Once that was installed, I connected and tested the backup camera. That's where I realized I needed a step drill to make the camera hole. The provided hole saw just couldn't handle the steel of the 5 ton.

20210714_094635.jpg

I then ran the co-ax along the frame rail with the rest of the wiring.

20210714_095233.jpg

I used an existing bolt to provide chassis ground in accordance with the recommendation to NOT use the negative post of my battery. It also provided a place to attach the excess co-ax.

20210714_100438.jpg

Here's where it got tricky.... due to the amount of electronics mounted in the console, there was no good place to mount the monitor using the provided holes without damaging something, so I made my own holes and used bolts to mount it where I liked it. (The bolts also provided a "ground stud" for the electronics).

20210714_105555.jpg20210714_105609.jpg

I then ran the power wires to the second toggle on the console, eliminating the need for the one they provided (extra toggle switch!)

This is the final view

20210714_105816.jpg

The great thing is the monitor allows you to rotate the image, so you can mount the monitor however you need.

This is the final "top" of the console... notice the power inverter, Bluetooth/aux/fm receiver, USB connection etc.

20210714_110026.jpg

20210714_110030.jpg

I also opted to add a 12v power port so I can use any type of 12v accessory in the truck.

All in all super excited about it and it just raised the cool factor and functionality of the truck!

Highly recommend the system, but NOTE you will need some electrical knowledge to install this. If you get one and need help, feel tree to reach out.

20210714_110038.jpg

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I dont know if you pull any trailers but if so you can mount the camera looking just above the hitch and get the same veiw and make it super easy to hitch to trailers without getting out of the truck !
I wish I had thought of that!!!

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I dont know if you pull any trailers but if so you can mount the camera looking just above the hitch and get the same veiw and make it super easy to hitch to trailers without getting out of the truck !
That's the best thing I like about a backup cam, hooking up a trailer. But mine isn't on an MV either.

Great job on the hookup KR.

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did a similar install on my deuce. Has cameras front and rear, as I have a pintle at both ends................it DOES make trailer hook up easier. Don't have "stereo" as I am partially deaf, and how loud would it have to be heard over a deuce? LOL I too have 12volt adapters for chargers and such and you are most correct, it really does make things more "friendly" in the trk. NICE install Sir, especially as you had several issues to over come and adapt BEFORE she could work! You must have prior experience with such things as that??? Over come, adapt, modify...............survive!

Good one, Sir!!!

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did a similar install on my deuce. Has cameras front and rear, as I have a pintle at both ends................it DOES make trailer hook up easier. Don't have "stereo" as I am partially deaf, and how loud would it have to be heard over a deuce? LOL I too have 12volt adapters for chargers and such and you are most correct, it really does make things more "friendly" in the trk. NICE install Sir, especially as you had several issues to over come and adapt BEFORE she could work! You must have prior experience with such things as that??? Over come, adapt, modify...............survive!

Good one, Sir!!!
Ya, the deuce would be a tough one to hear in!

I work in the oilfield with Remotely Operated Vehicles. It's all electronic/hydraulic and we are CONSTANTLY adapting them to different client/environmental needs, so we are always drilling, bolting and wiring different gear onto them, so when I was presented with the challenges during the install, it was almost second nature to modify things.

Thanks!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks