• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Backup camera for 7 Ton

JonM934

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a back up camera in all my other vehicles so I thought I would hook up one on the 7 Ton. I did not look forward to running a cable all the way from the back to the front so I checked into wireless backup cameras.

I was not sure if the transmitted signal would make it through all the metal in the truck but I hooked it all up and it works. The only tricky part is that this whole system is 12 volts. I used a 7812 single chip regulator at first to power the camera and it worked for awhile but the camera uses too much power for the little regulator. I tied the 7812 regulator into the side LED marker on the rear corner of the truck so to get the camera to work I had to turn on the lights. The lights are 24 volts so the regulator brought the voltage down to 12. So the little regulator would only work for a few minutes before it would get so hot that it shut down. I ordered a bigger regulator and that will solve the power issue.

I think I will find a new source for the power because I am not in love with having to turn on the lights to get the camera to work. I know I lot of people tie into the backup light power to power the camera but I want the camera to be on all the time - like a rear view mirror. So I think I will tie into the trailer connector and find power there.

The other thing I did was mount the camera on a big magnet and I left a lot of extra wire from the power to the camera. That way I can move the camera to other locations if I am doing something special with the truck.

Here is the back up system I purchased:

20200424_175345.jpg

MTVR

I have a back up camera in all my other vehicles so I thought I would hook up one on the 7 Ton. I did not look forward to running a cable all the way from the back to the front so I checked into wireless backup cameras.

I was not sure if the transmitted signal would make it through all the metal in the truck but I hooked it all up and it works. The only tricky part is that this whole system is 12 volts. I used a 7812 single chip regulator at first to power the camera and it worked for awhile but the camera uses too much power for the little regulator. I tied the 7812 regulator into the side LED marker on the rear corner of the truck so to get the camera to work I had to turn on the lights. The lights are 24 volts so the regulator brought the voltage down to 12. So the little regulator would only work for a few minutes before it would get so hot that it shut down. I ordered a bigger regulator and that will solve the power issue.

I think I will find a new source for the power because I am not in love with having to turn on the lights to get the camera to work. I know I lot of people tie into the backup light power to power the camera but I want the camera to be on all the time - like a rear view mirror. So I think I will tie into the trailer connector and find power there.

The other thing I did was mount the camera on a big magnet and I left a lot of extra wire from the power to the camera. That way I can move the camera to other locations if I am doing something special with the truck.

View attachment 797992
Excellent!

My wife wants a backup camera on our MTVR too...

JonM934

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I received the new step down converter and I hooked it up to the trailer power. Now the backup camera works all the time.

BTW, one reason I selected the before mentioned camera is that it SAYS it will work on 12 and 24 volts. But after I got it and I looked at the step down converter they have in their wiring harness, i did not want to take a chance running it at 24 volts.

If this is only used as a back up camera, it would only be on a few seconds so their converter might work. I wanted mine system to work as a rear view mirror so I beefed up the converter.

Sent from my SM-G988U1 using Tapatalk

MTVR

Now my wife says she wants one of those 360-degree cameras, and she wants one monitor in the cab, and one in our box, so that we can see all around our truck from inside, even if we're in bed...

Reactions: 98G

JonM934

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's a good idea. Let me know how it turns out.

I am hooking up 6 cameras on my truck with a monitor in the cab to see 4 of them. I am doing it mostly for liability reasons. BUT it would be nice to see what is going on around all four sides of my truck.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor

View attachment 797992
Question for you @JonM934,

The link is for a wireless camera. I see a wire leading to the camera. You mention leaving extra wire so you can move it around. Just asking. Price was pretty darn good - but wireless seems like a bad plan if the camera runs on a battery? Just asking questions...

Mounted on a magnet seems like a slick idea... Have you had a chance to take it on a Road Trip since the install? Is the monitor large enough to actually see something behind you as you bounce down the road?

JonM934

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mullaney,

The camera does need power and I was thinking of running it off a set of 8 AA batteries. In fact I did that during testing. It worked fine that way but I think batteries would not last long because the camera must be drawing about an Amp.

For the camera power, I tied into the trailer socket power because it was right there and spec'ed to provide 15 amps. For the monitor power, I just plug into the 12 volt outlet already in the cab. I am adding more 12 volt sockets to the cab but right not I just have the stock one.

I will take a photo or a video of the monitor next time I am driving the 7 ton.

Jon

Sent from my SM-G988U1 using Tapatalk

JonM934

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here is the photo of the camera monitor in the cab. The monitor for the camera could be brighter because on a sunny day it is a little hard to see. I left mine at the normal brightness because if I adjust it brighter then at night it is too bright.

20200520_181547.jpg

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Thanks JonM934 That is pretty good looking! Nice field of view. Definitely understand the brightness thing. I could imagine doing the same thing. I crank the brightness way down on my phone GPS for that exact reason...

I just feel the need to glance into that big space behind the truck where no mirror in the world could. I had decided to see how it worked in my truck and ordered one that arrived today. Four nice heavy metal cameras and metal mounting brackets. More than likely overkill - but it could be just right. I have a picture of it in the box down below

Developed an air leak today that needs my attention before this gets installed. Got a local big truck store just up the road - so I see about a hundred feet of several DOT rated plastic hoses in my future! Not complaining, just "fixin". It is one of those things that happens on a 35 year old truck...

My Camera Setup.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks