• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bad Alternator

taylordc15

Went to start my truck and nothing, jumped it and it started right up but no power to any of the guages, do I need a new alternator or could it be something else?

Scrounger

If you have no power to the gauges I would look at main power switch. Then power to the panel. A quick test of the alternator is to check the voltage at the batteries with the vehicle off, it should be around 24 volts. Then check with vehicle running, should show around 28.4 volts.

Capt.Marion

It would be better to pull out the multimeter and make sure that there isn't just a busted wire or something before you go off and order a new switch.

Michael

Actually, the starter button shouldn't have worked if the accessory switch isn't working. You are going to have to do some more trouble shooting before you start replacing parts. Do you have 12.5 volts across each battery with the motor off? If not, you will need to recharge them before you go any further. About 14 v across each battery with the motor running. Are you getting 24 v on one of the leads to the accessory switch?

taylordc15

OK, the batteries were dead. I charged them and started running through the trouble shooting steps from the -20. I have 24v coming into the alt but nothing coming out. I would assume that my alt is bad. The next step in the -20 is to replace cable 2. I am not understanding this, isn't that the cable thats should be sending 28v out of the alt? How does replacing it do anything?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks