• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bad Alternator

2deuce

My #2 alternator light came on while driving. It doesn't come on instantly at startup like it used to either and its dim. I removed the old alternator and had a spare from a parts truck but the spare doesn't have the capacitor or whatever that is on the back of the old alternator. Do I need it? Should I transfer it to the spare or try to get a new one?

Thanks,
Greg

2deuce

My spare was a good one. I transfered that filter just in case, it's all working good. The #2 light goes out quicker now too without much reving after startup.
Thanks,
Greg

AJMBLAZER

Re: RE: Bad Alternator

devilman96 said:
If you have to rev it after start up your more than likely in need of new battries .
Not always. Mine has brand new batteries and I often have to rev it to get the light to go out. Doesn't always come on though.

CCATLETT1984

Re: RE: Bad Alternator

AJMBLAZER said:
devilman96 said:
If you have to rev it after start up your more than likely in need of new battries .
Not always. Mine has brand new batteries and I often have to rev it to get the light to go out. Doesn't always come on though.
Its a common thing with the cucv's, because its rare to have the two alternators have the exact same turn on points. Mine has done that since day one.

1stgear

RE: Re: RE: Bad Alternator

Mine have always gone off at the same time. Last week I threw the alternator #2 belt and drove the truck home about 5 miles. My belt came in yesterday and I put it on and started the truck up. The #2 light stayed on until I revved it up. I haven't cranked it again, so I'll check the next time to see if it stays on longer than #1.

JohnFire

RE: Re: RE: Bad Alternator

I have always had to rev it to have the light go out and kick in the alt's and I have owned the truck since 1999. Even now with it converted to 12V and running on 1 alt I still have to rev. I have 2 brand new optima group 31 yellow tops in it and also kinda a little insurance for when I can't plug it in during the winter. I have the old red tops wired into the system on a battery 1/2/ both switch. It cranks really good with over 3000 CCA at its disposal. :D

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks