• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bad Alternator

2deuce

My #2 alternator light came on while driving. It doesn't come on instantly at startup like it used to either and its dim. I removed the old alternator and had a spare from a parts truck but the spare doesn't have the capacitor or whatever that is on the back of the old alternator. Do I need it? Should I transfer it to the spare or try to get a new one?

Thanks,
Greg

2deuce

My spare was a good one. I transfered that filter just in case, it's all working good. The #2 light goes out quicker now too without much reving after startup.
Thanks,
Greg

AJMBLAZER

Re: RE: Bad Alternator

devilman96 said:
If you have to rev it after start up your more than likely in need of new battries .
Not always. Mine has brand new batteries and I often have to rev it to get the light to go out. Doesn't always come on though.

CCATLETT1984

Re: RE: Bad Alternator

AJMBLAZER said:
devilman96 said:
If you have to rev it after start up your more than likely in need of new battries .
Not always. Mine has brand new batteries and I often have to rev it to get the light to go out. Doesn't always come on though.
Its a common thing with the cucv's, because its rare to have the two alternators have the exact same turn on points. Mine has done that since day one.

1stgear

RE: Re: RE: Bad Alternator

Mine have always gone off at the same time. Last week I threw the alternator #2 belt and drove the truck home about 5 miles. My belt came in yesterday and I put it on and started the truck up. The #2 light stayed on until I revved it up. I haven't cranked it again, so I'll check the next time to see if it stays on longer than #1.

JohnFire

RE: Re: RE: Bad Alternator

I have always had to rev it to have the light go out and kick in the alt's and I have owned the truck since 1999. Even now with it converted to 12V and running on 1 alt I still have to rev. I have 2 brand new optima group 31 yellow tops in it and also kinda a little insurance for when I can't plug it in during the winter. I have the old red tops wired into the system on a battery 1/2/ both switch. It cranks really good with over 3000 CCA at its disposal. :D