• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bad Bill for Title Military Surplus Off Road Moves to Virginia Senate

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did you miss the part that they will be identified by not having the 17 digit vin number? That rather well includes most of our trucks.
Yeah , I seen it and it is starting to look like it would be better if they would have just kept scraping HMMWV's.

tobyS

Yeah , I seen it and it is starting to look like it would be better if they would have just kept scraping HMMWV's.[/QUOTE

I'm sitting laughing !!! That was my thought when I read the first post about that note/stipulation and states titling them anyway.

I had a friend that was going to buy several HMMWV's and he said he would want to resell them. It completely shocked him that our government would sell them at retail prices in sales to the general public and then turn around and let the states keep them from being used on roads.

I bought 28 of the old jeeps that rolled over easy about 35 years ago and I got any component I wanted as long as it couldn't build another jeep. Then they ran over them with bulldozers. Point being...they had a well identified problem that made them unsafe and they could not have been made safe. HMMWV is not alleged to have design flaws like that, however we all know a lot are being sold that are incomplete.

My friend stayed away and may have saved tons of money....he should be able to buy them at near scrap.... as they should be for a vehicle that is that restricted and needs a huge truck to trailer around. ...which all MV may be illegal for that too, shortly.

Navo

When is the final ruling? I see yesterday was a meeting and we got some info, but when is it going to put into law? For me, 150 miles or 250 miles is ok. I would rather be unrestricted, but if this allows for a Sunday drive on road or to grab some food. I have antiques tags on one of my other cars with no issues and drive it whenever. It’s not a daily driver either.

bachman502

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have no issues either Navo. But what it’s going to come down to is the attitude each city, state, or county police officer has that day or what their discretion of what the law is. Can’t wait for the stories.

Navo

I have no issues either Navo. But what it’s going to come down to is the attitude each city, state, or county police officer has that day or what their discretion of what the law is. Can’t wait for the stories.
And where we live..... I don’t see it being an issue with antique tags

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Would the FMTV's be exempt or is it just HMMWV's?
"All owners of all surplus military vehicles"

Edit to clarify -

E. The provisions of this section shall apply to all owners of military surplus motor vehicles registered with the Department under any other provision of this Code prior to July 1, 2018. Such owners shall, based on a schedule and in a manner prescribed by the Department, reregister such vehicle and receive an appropriately designed license plate in accordance with this section. The Department shall cancel the registrations of vehicles owned by persons that, prior to January 1, 2019, do not re-register such vehicle with the Department.

Last edited:

DukeNukem

Edit to clarify -

E. The provisions of this section shall apply to all owners of military surplus motor vehicles registered with the Department under any other provision of this Code prior to July 1, 2018. Such owners shall, based on a schedule and in a manner prescribed by the Department, reregister such vehicle and receive an appropriately designed license plate in accordance with this section. The Department shall cancel the registrations of vehicles owned by persons that, prior to January 1, 2019, do not re-register such vehicle with the Department.
So that's just back East, correct?

MaverickH1

Edit to clarify -
IIRC, that is the section of the bill that we got struck from it in the amendment. So now you'd be good to go with a good inspection as long as you didn't opt to get the military plates. However, state police has promised that nobody will pass inspection with a former military vehicle. Or antique import. Or... kit car? Or specially constructed vehicle.... or... on and on and on...

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
IIRC, that is the section of the bill that we got struck from it in the amendment. So now you'd be good to go with a good inspection as long as you didn't opt to get the military plates. However, state police has promised that nobody will pass inspection with a former military vehicle. Or antique import. Or... kit car? Or specially constructed vehicle.... or... on and on and on...
So then if you've already got plates and already passed inspection you're grandfathered in?

L1A1

Just found out about this through another thread. Sorry I got in too late to help. In a way this is just one more reason why I need to put this State in my rear view................

tobyS

My son was in Norfolk and his bridge toll card didn't work right, sometimes would register and other times wouldn't. While he was out on the sub they would send nasty threatening letters that said he owed huge amounts of money for "fees" that they tacked on. The letters came to our house, not his PO address. I called and wrote back, that he was incommunicado but they only got worse. Finally I wrote the governor. Son came back in and thought all was taken care of then the nasty, threatening letters started again. The Governors office wrote back saying that they used a contractor and had no control over them....I call that BS.

After having this problem with the Virginia Government and their lacky contractors, the disrespect for the military and their sub crews who are out of contact for 4 months made me NEVER want to live or even visit Virginia.

SAY NO TO VIRGINIA....drain that swamp.

MaverickH1

The senate version was modified AGAIN. Looks like it was made worse again.

I'm fuming, again.

Some of the newly added text is:

C. Any owner of a military surplus motor vehicle applying for registration pursuant to this section shall submit to the Department, in the manner prescribed by the Department, certification that such vehicle is capable of being safely operated on the highways of the Commonwealth.

E. Military surplus motor vehicles registered with the Department under any other provision of this Code prior to January 1, 2018, may continue to be registered under such provision. Such vehicles shall be considered to be registered under this section for the purpose of § 46.2-1158.01. In the event that any such vehicle is transferred to a new owner, the vehicle must be registered pursuant to this section.

F. No military surplus motor vehicle shall be registered as an antique vehicle pursuant to § 46.2-730.

MaverickH1

That's nuts. I would think section C would be satisfied by a safety inspection. That's what safety inspections are for.
That's one of the most frustrating things about this bill. The wording is horrible. The theory is awful. And it leaves things up to the DMV and the VA State Police, which is a horrible punt by the legislature.

The VA State Police will say that such a certification would be nothing short of: "A letter from the manufacturer that it meets all FMVSS requirements from the year it LEFT THE MILITARY."

And if you don't LIVE in Richmond and can be there everyday to combat the BS, you don't have a voice. The VA State Police and the DMV gets to tell factually incorrect things without any cite, source, or supporting documents and the congressmen soak it up like the gospel.

Even when you're there, you're given 3 minutes to combat 5 lies from the bureaucrats.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks