• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bad day in Oshkosh

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Glad the pilot will be OK.

The F-16 is "high risk" for ingesting foreign objects into its engine. (AKA: Foreign Object Damage = "FOD") That photo sequence shows some unusual SOD-FOD as the grass and soil makes it out the exhaust nozzle.

Chaulk up one F-16 to "experience".

AGE|kshaufl

Wow. I don't think he will be flying again unless they determine that it was a hydraulic brake failure (Unlikely).

That jet is shot. Wing mounts are probably cracked, radar dome toast, engine F.O.D.ed out, nose gear mount shot. Yup, looks like the scrapper for that one. Although, I have seen worse rebuilt at depot.

Glad that the pilot is okay.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow. I don't think he will be flying again unless they determine that it was a hydraulic brake failure (Unlikely).

That jet is shot. Wing mounts are probably cracked, radar dome toast, engine F.O.D.ed out, nose gear mount shot. Yup, looks like the scrapper for that one. Although, I have seen worse rebuilt at depot.

Glad that the pilot is okay.

Coming to a GL auction near you.....

Event: OMGIF'd
Lot: SNAFU001
Qty: 1
Description: Unused F-16 Ejection Seat (Never been fired)
Conditon: Used but Servicable without rework, Brown Stains on Seat Cushion
Load Out: Just pull the BRIGHT YELLOW HANDLES

westechs_wifey

watched a copter crashed 100 yds away from me in the parking lot....the pilot walked away unharmed ...Thank God

*picture is after they removed the pilot and the copter was turned right side up

Attachments

gunboy1656

Coming to a GL auction near you.....

Event: OMGIF'd
Lot: SNAFU001
Qty: 1
Description: Unused F-16 Ejection Seat (Never been fired)
Conditon: Used but Servicable without rework, Brown Stains on Seat Cushion
Load Out: Just pull the BRIGHT YELLOW HANDLES
There was an F16 body that was on GL not that long ago from a crash, demil required, of course, for what was left.

I doubt it will make the scrap yard just yet. take it back to the repair show give it a good overhaul and it will be fine.

Wolf.Dose

This is a safe way to make an aircraft switch from condition 1 to condition 5. And remember, a jet fighter is not a Jeep. Luckily the pilot came out of this unhurt, as it looks like.
I think, this was a 40 million Dollar chrash, I think, this is unrepairable, the fuselage for shure is bend.
Wolf

flyxpl

My geuss is the F-16 pilots figured instead of landing on the numbers, they would touch down further down the runway so the crowd would get a better view of touchdown . I see no mechanical failure . All that weight on the nosewheel during hard braking on soft ground it just ripped the nosewheel right off .

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My geuss is the F-16 pilots figured instead of landing on the numbers, they would touch down further down the runway so the crowd would get a better view of touchdown . I see no mechanical failure . All that weight on the nosewheel during hard braking on soft ground it just ripped the nosewheel right off .
I see no photographic evidence supporting your assertion that the nose gear "just ripped off". In every photo posted thus far, there is NO visible shedding of nose gear parts, tires, wheels or structure. There is NO detectible deformation of the nose gear strut/cylinder from its essentially vertical orientation with a slight forward canted angle.

Without raising the aircraft, I would interpret the photos as indicating that the nose gear is simply BURIED in the soft turf soil, without significant structural damage but probably having sustained substantial abrasive damage.

The typical fighter aircraft landing gear is structurally engineered to survive extraordinarly abuse in hard landings and a high life-cycle rate.

IMHO

[edit: Added the following...]

The "plow effect" of the nose gear would also explain the large amount of displaced soil seen "airborne" forward of any other potentially disturbing influences, such as the Main Gear or any air turbulance.

Even the Nose Gear Door seems to remain in its proper position, further supporoting this "Soft Soil" theory.

[end edit]

Last edited:

flyxpl

I guess I used a poor choice of words . My guess was that it collapsed , or folded rearward. I also understand your point . If the gear sunk completley into the ground and did not collapse I would be amazed. I know they take a beating on aircraft carriers , but the 16 is not flown off carriers so I don't know if it would be built to the same standerds . Any idea why the guy chose to only use the last half of the runway ?? One of the first things I was tought is you can't use runway that is behind you .

edit
After looking at the photos , I understand your point . The nosegear is looks intact and still in the vertical position and looks undamaged above the dirt .

Last edited:

AGE|kshaufl

"Witnesses after the show stated that the nosegear did in fact sink into the ground and collapse rearward." The Northwestern.

Although the F-16 is a great aircraft, it does have less strength in the the landing gear. In experimental tests early in its developement it failed the Navy's tests of carrier landing and take off forces. They were unable to provide a gear that would stand up to the punishment of repeated Naval Aviator use and still fit into the F-16's designed frame. Along with the 2nd engine that was required the Navy rejected the design and went with the F-18. Or so I have been told.

The Radar Dome and Antenna were detached from the airframe, the engine was fodded out (Obviously), and there is other extensive underlying structural damage (Classified). Titanium is very light and strong but becomes brittle in some situations.

usafe7ret

Simple fact, Pilot error. Landed too long, didn't maintain aerodynamic braking long enough, (probably due to running out of runway), didn't notice the EOR coming and failed to initiate go-around.

Why he didn't use the drouge chute is another question as well. I didn't see anything close to max braking use either.

I agree with those above that he will be flying a desk for a couple months until the BOI/AIB gives him his walking papers.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Accidents happen
Yes, they do.

And - Since EVERY "accident" can be analyzed to determine the cause(s) and resulting effect(s), then they really are just "events" that COULDA/SHOULDA been avoided or prevented.

Accident Prevention results when applied intelligence overcoms apathy.

We have ALL made some mistakes that could be called "good ones". Hopefully, we also LEARN from our mistakes.

Anything less, and the result is called NEGLIGENCE.

AN/ARC186

You guys have it all wrong.
I just read the press release on this incident:

"In an effort to cut costs the USAF will be converting some of it's F-16s to roto-tillers. these units will be able to turn over acreage at speeds never before realized as seen here in this unannounced demonstration"

it has to be true, the pilot had a whole load of fertilizer in his flight suit after the demonstration.

wldr68

nah, the air force is trying to find a new job for their soon to be replaced aircraft. Looks like a soon to be plow, rototiller and mulch-er, all in one. lol (Glad the Pilot is ok)

TsgtB

That model (like most F-16's) is not equipped with a chute...
It is designed to be a disposable aircraft, not intended for 2,000+ airframe hours.
This aircraft also has small brakes, especially early versions.
and the runway over-run area is "grubbed" for this very reason, like a run away trucks gravel pit.
I'd say 90% pilot error at least, but still better to put it in the dirt, as to try to take off from 70mph, only to have to eject,
and the aircraft to land in a populated area.
It will end up on a pole or a "static display" somewhere....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks