• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bad Day in the 1009

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
Coming back to Las Cruces today From Vegas had a problem with overheating. I'm hoping it's just the water pump, I had to stop every 20-30 miles to add water. . .

Really, Really tired. . . .

Truck ran good till I smelled antifreeze outside Casa Grande... went downhill from there.

Made it back to Las Cruces thankfully.

Got a bunch of dead engines in the garage, so I'm hoping I can fix it before I have to go back on Monday.

No pics. . .

1986Blazerk5

Sorry about your bad day:-(

If your losing coolant try replacing you radiator cap, its less than $5 at O'reilly Auto Parts, mine was letting the pressure out and therefore losing coolant after replacing it the problem was solved

simoncrk

Radiator cap is a start, and I hope thats all it is. But...... if it doesn't fix it, you might check your thermostat, take a water hose rinse out your radiator core from the grill, have your radiator internally flushed, and check your antifreeze/water ratio. Most people don't know but the antifreeze isn't just for freezing temps. If your ratio is right, pure water will boil in the engine. Just a thought.:)

ragedracer

If you could smell the antifreeze, you've probably got a leak somewhere. Did you look around while it was running?

And I think I'd rather it be a head gasket than the water pump. :oops: It's just about as much work and cheaper. :?

blitzengine

Sorry to hear about your misfortune but I am sure you got a leak some where, could be the water pump or radiator? With the engine cold remove the radiator cap top of fluid and start the engine keep an eye on the filler neck and check for bubbles if it is bubbling and fluid is coming out really fast while the engine is cold you might have a fried head gasket or worse a cracked head. If you done all of the above and everything looks good check the thermostat aswell there might be a chance it is not opening all the way or stuck closed Great looking truck how much lift you got under her and whats size tires?
:beer:

Last edited:

OL AG '89

If you're stopping to add fluid every 20 to 30 miles.... you have to see fluid coming out somewhere..... unless it's going into the engine.... check the oil and hope its not a milky white color..... It's not a good thing to have milky white fluids in your engine....
follow the suggestion about removing the radiator cap and seeing how the flow is while the engine is cold, than as it warms up the level may drop alittle if everything is working properly.....
The flow from the core should be noticeable..... not like a spa jet, but like a babbling brook.....
If this all looks good, seal it up with the cap and let it run for awhile..... with the pressure you should begine to see some fluid coming from somewhere.
I just went through this with my sons 74 Civvy blazer..... he was losing fluid every couple of days..... but nothing on the driveway..... odd.... I started the truck and let it idle for about 20 minutes...... a very small drip developed from the radiator... pulled the rad and found a "pinhole" split in the end cap..... it just "misted" the fluid out and while running at speed just blew away.... sitting there not moving gave it an opportunity to pool up and drip.....

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well now, just how many beers does it take to change a waterpump on a 6.2?:???:

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
Worked on the truck most of the day on Sunday. . . broke bolts off. . .

Then decided to drive the 06 GTO back to Vegas even though it has a bad fuel pump, (quits when it gets hot) needless to say it was a fiasco. . .

Back at work today, going to order a pump for the GTO, 1009 is in LC, tired of the drama. . .

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks