• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bad Fuel Pump... Rebuildable???

neil2007

Hello All!

Well, to make a short story long... Yesterday evening while trying to get the 'ole Reo (gasser) primed I was having a very difficult time getting gas up to the new inline filter I just added between the carb and fuel pump. After cranking and cranking I was never able to get fuel into the filter (clear see through filter). I ended up using a Marine grade hand pump and was able to get fuel to the filter. I figure that now the pump should be primed good enough to do the rest... WRONG... The pump wouldn't even refill the filter (with the fuel line disconnected at the carb).

Unless I'm missing something, I believe that the fuel pump is shot... (This truck has been sitting for the last 15+years)

The question of the hour.... Are these fuel pumps rebuildable? Are there any other common upgrades to the fuel systems I may want to consider before I replace the stock unit?

Thanks!!

Neil

JDToumanian

My gasser's fuel system had been butchered by the previous owners in an effort to get the truck running... fuel lines cut (they were looking for a clog?), new fuel pump, electric pumps added... and none of it worked so they ended up running the truck off a coffee can of gas. I discovered that the filter that is on the fuel pickup in the tank was clogged with sludge, varnish, and rust. That's as far as I've gotten, as I'm working on other projects right now, but I have every confidence that after cleaning the tank and cleaning (or preferably replacing) the in-tank filter, and restoring fuel lines to original condition, that the truck will run without any problem.

Jon

neil2007

JDToumanian said:
My gasser's fuel system had been butchered by the previous owners in an effort to get the truck running... fuel lines cut (they were looking for a clog?), new fuel pump, electric pumps added... and none of it worked so they ended up running the truck off a coffee can of gas. I discovered that the filter that is on the fuel pickup in the tank was clogged with sludge, varnish, and rust. That's as far as I've gotten, as I'm working on other projects right now, but I have every confidence that after cleaning the tank and cleaning (or preferably replacing) the in-tank filter, and restoring fuel lines to original condition, that the truck will run without any problem.

Jon
Sounds like a good idea to check for this as well... I know I was able to get fuel through the lines using a small boat marine hand pump. It was nasty looking redish gas that burned like kerosene. I was hoping to start it up and be able to burn it out that way, but wisdom is telling me now to drain the tank and pull the intank filter and replace it or at least clean it real good.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Neil

neil2007

JasonS said:
Google Antique Auto Cellar. They both offer rebuilding services as well as parts.
Thanks for the tip... I've looked at their site and will have to do some more research on what I actually have on the truck...

Thanks!

Neil

Tony

I'm looking for a rebuild kit for the M-135 fuel pump. When I was rebuildin gmy other M-135, I was able to find a rebuild kit. Does anyone know where I can buy a rebuild kit.

Tony

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks