• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bad Glow Plug Control Card?

JC

I have a stock (24V) M1009. I replaced the temp sensor, the glow plug relay (part GPR109 from Napa ) and I have all new Wellman 70 glow plugs. And I still have problems starting the blazer in cold weather. It takes about 3 tries for me to get the truck running when the temperature where I live has been in the 40's. I noticed if I manually cycle the plugs 3 times it seems to start up better. (By manually cycle the plugs I mean- press gas pedel half-way down, turn the key for the "wait" light to come on, wait until "wait" light goes off, turn key to off position- I do that 3 times and then start it) I notice that I don't hear the relay click until about the 3rd time I do this. Since I have replaced just about everything but the glow plug control card, i was wondering if this is a control card issue. I was also wondering if maybe the temp sensor I put in was bad. I bought it off of Ebay about 10 months ago- it was sold as New Old Stock and it was still in a wrapper. Anyone have any ideas about this?

If it is the control card, anyone know where I can get one? Parramore? Saturn Surplus?

Thanks.

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
Rig a pushbutton switch to energise the glow plug relay on the firewall, see if it starts any easier, if it does, further T/S in the GP circuit is required.

Last edited:

Westech

CPL
and for the 2ed time pushing/pumping the "gas" on a diesel engine will do NOTHING. The best thing to do is install a push button as stated above. Its really ez and use the search function and you will find everything you need to do the install. It cost about 10 bucks and will never let you down like the stock type set up.

devilman96

The above mentioned button/switch thingo will bypass it all but still may not fix the problem.

Many things like oil weight, IP condition, laging starters, etc can affect starting conditions so if the plugs are actually cycling (use multi meter, check voltage to plugs, dont guess) if you have voltage to the plugs its not a card issue and you should be looking elsewhere.

Crash_AF

You replaced the GPR? Just a question, which side did you put the smaller orange wire on? The wire is supposed to be on the glow plug side, not the resistor side of the relay (the TM wiring diagram is WRONG). If it is on the resistor side of the relay, the light will light up and then turn off, but the relay will not energize.

Later,
Joe

JC

Thanks to everyone for responding.

FMJ- I'm going to install the pushbutton switch this weekend (if I have time- I have a wedding to go to this weekend).

Westech- There must be some confusion regardiing my post. I'm not pumping the gas, I'm just holding it down halfway like it says to do on the sunvisor when the temp is above 32. Instead of completing the starting procedure and turning the key to the start position, I go back to step 1 of the procedure. I do that 3 times and by the 3rd time, I can hear the glow plug relay click and I can see the voltmeter moving.

Devilman96- I hear you. I've bought my M1009 from GL almost 3 years ago and in addition to the stuff I mentioned replacing in my original post, I've also replaced the starter (24V), the water pump, both belts, and numerous other odds and ends. If it's not one thing with this truck, it's something else. :-D But it is fun to drive.

Crash_AF- I can't remember how I wired it up right now, but there is a picture on this site that shows a GPR109 or 110 wired up to a truck and I wired it just like that one. But I'll double check when I get home. I'm pretty sure the glow plug relay is energizing. The voltmeter moves, I hear a clicking and the dash lights will dim during the clicking- so something is drawing power.

chevyjames

i seem to be having a similar problem and maybe you guys can help. My m1008 was cranking and running fine a couple weeks ago and now it cranks but will not run. I beleive my GPR may be bad but i dont know how to test it, i used a test light on it and when the switch is in off position only the top wire has power and when the switch is on all the wires have power but the bottom wires (TWO BIG WIRES AND ONE SMALL WIRE ON THE SAME POST). dont know what this means any ideals???????

Also while trying to test the GPR i accidently crossed the main power wire on the relay with one of the smaller wires witch burt up the control card i read what was wrote about the push switch but if the GPR is bad will the switch ideal still work.

cegeb

Does anyone have a picture of a good circuit card for the glow plugs?

I have a great picture of one that is burnt up!:roll: