• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bad idea for a non-grease monkey to get a deuce?

m52a2

Buy that military truck ! Those guy's are spoiled ! I don't use any air tools, cutting torch, or welder. Simple hand tools, a strong arm, and patience are required. You would not come out too bad financialy if you got tired of it and had to resell it ! Most important when you buy your truck put the money up front for one in good condition, this cuts down on the required repairs and added cost to repair. It will give you an edge up on most others your age in pure experiance. but if you ask your dad his comment will likely be "when I was your age I had 2 lots on the auglaze river !" Oh well...

dm22630

bugei said:
btw, they are also "chick magnets". i have owned some really trick stuff, cars, trucks and motorcycles, but NOTHING has gotten the attention that the duece and wrecker get.

HOW TRUE! rofl

I am 25. I have had HUGE redneck trucks, new Cadillacs, motorcycles, & even a prowler. But....NOTHING & I mean NOTHING has as strong of a magnet in it as an Army Truck! haha

Its amazing what can happen after you go up through some steep trails in a deuce at 2 in the morning ;)

SasquatchSanta

Before buying a deuce to be used as a daily driver run the rack on insurance.

Every insurance company I've talked to about insurance demanded that I have a daily driver and have insurance on same. Collector insurance policies vary in their restrictions but they all require you to own and have insurance on another DD vehicle. I even tried to purchase straight commercial insurance. Progressive wouldn't touch my M35 because of the military factor. In reading some of the insurance threads on this site I see where people are saying they have insurance for unlimited mileage and possibly even unlimited use but I ain't found it yet. The best deal I found was with Gulfway and they require you to have a second vehicle insured. If you're not looking at an M35 as a daily driver then "never mind".

I agree with some of the earlier posts in that the deuce is an extremely simple vehicle. They are also big and heavy and unfortunately usually require lots of attention. You'll not only need tools but also a place to work on your truck. IMHO impact wrenches are a must.

I guess the most important issue is do you have, can you afford the time while going to school? I don't mean to sound like your dad but getting a degree is a pretty important job. There will always be deuces out there and if you pull a good GPA you'll have plenty of fungolas to buy deuces and tools at a later date.

If you decide to go ahead and make the leap I'd spend a few months on this website before doing so.

Oh yeah --- get a "C" (Whistler) turbo.

my two-cents worth

GoldComet6

My suggestion is to get with a local member that owns a Deuce and let them give you a tour of it. Pay for the diesel and ask them to give you a ride. That way you will have a better understanding of what they are like to drive and use. This will convince you to buy one or help you avoid making a mistake! If you still want one after the ride, buy it.

I started looking at this site about 1 year ago and I still haven't bought one!! Same reasons - not sure if I'd really be happy owning one and haven't ever worked on something that size. Just didn't want you to think you're alone in your concerns. I need to do the same and get with a local member and really see what they are like.

steelandcanvas

[quote="Pawnshop" Most of all, Deuces are extremely fun! The best part for me is the reaction of the children when they see and hear it, I will never get tired of that:) GOOD LUCK and HAVE FUN![/quote]

That is one of the best parts! Smilies on kid's faces!

maves75

GoldComet6 said:
My suggestion is to get with a local member that owns a Deuce and let them give you a tour of it. Pay for the diesel and ask them to give you a ride. That way you will have a better understanding of what they are like to drive and use. This will convince you to buy one or help you avoid making a mistake! If you still want one after the ride, buy it.

I started looking at this site about 1 year ago and I still haven't bought one!! Same reasons - not sure if I'd really be happy owning one and haven't ever worked on something that size. Just didn't want you to think you're alone in your concerns. I need to do the same and get with a local member and really see what they are like.

I agree! Probably won't have my own Deuce for a year. I have no seat time in one, don't know how I will get exposure to one, but that's the best route to go with my two pennies attached. I have been fortunate, to have been exposed to a good cross-section of trucks, and equipment. Drove a 66 Chevy C60, 366 w/5sp&2speed rear for a concrete contractor when I was 17, the first time I let the clutch out, I was pretty scared. Then, I got used to it, and have always liked driving, and working on bigger equipment since. There is a learning curve to whatever we choose to do. This is the best place with the most resources to be, IMHO; for beginning to gain knowledge on these vehicles. Were if only I had gotten this bug before I re-located to Montana from Illinois. Kinda sparse round here as far as other members, etc. so, take care of what you need to, do what makes you happy when you can. There will be green iron available when you get ready.

Illuminaughty

Thanks everyone, you will see me nosing around these boards in the following years, and hopefully after I've become a bit more confident on the idea I'll end up with one of these trucks. Sorry it took so long but I've been away for the weekend then flooded with work I had to catch up with that I should've done over the weekend. :lol:

I have plenty of time to do research on these awesome trucks, and hopefully by this time next year I'll be more informed and perhaps even ready to purchase a deuce. A member even PM'ed me and mentioned he'll be moving pretty close to where I live, and said I could check out his deuce when he gets moved in. Definitely something I'll be checking into. I also learned of a local guy who runs a junkyard or something who has some military vehicles.

I have plenty of time, so hopefully my financial situation remains the same for the next year so I'll still have some money to play with by the time I'm ready to purchase one. Right now I'm spending some of my cash on evil "assault rifles" in case Mr. Hussein get's elected into office. Gotta love panic buying!

Also, thanks to everyone who's responded. I have a better idea of what I'm getting into now, but I do hope to have a much better idea by the time I'm ready to get one.

Thanks again all!

:D

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks