• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bad light switch?

Draco-87

Fired up the 109 today for a little road trip, when she was warmed up I checked the lights, blinkers, brake lights. all good, I took off down to the end of my street and got on **** of a belt squeal (I assume from the gen belts) looked at the gen gauge (still in the green zone) and noticed when I turned on the blinker nothing took her home and shut it down with the lights still on first thing I noticed was the three lever light switch was clicking, the lights were doing the on/off thing. My buddy says its a short some were I'm thinking its the light switch or both. I have checked the batteries and the ground its all good, Any advice will be appreciated.

Ryan123

you should have lights i would assume regaurdless of what the gen does i mean as long as you have battery power.

Is it just your blinkers or is it all of your lights?

I would assume these have a flasher relay if its just your blinkers if just blinkers id check that. where ever it might be lol

Draco-87

yup, it's all lights. sat there looking at the deuce with the lights going on and off. Going to try a new light switch if that isn't it I'm going to be stumped on this one!

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The belt squeal doesn't sound right. Did you check the belts? Are you sure you didn't trow a belt and it damaged some wires?

The clicking you hear is more than likely the circuit breaker inside the light switch. Sounds like you have a wire to ground somewhere.

Ryan123

yeah good point m16ty it might be a short i suppose. maybe pull the switch out and see if you have good clean "steady" power at where the switch would be just narrow her down.

Draco-87

Checked the belts and its all good. Been checking the grounds and so far every thing is connected and tight. Like I said I'm hoping it's the switch itself. But I'll have my buddy check to see if there is steady power to the switch. ( I hate electrical work)

Last edited:

Ryan123

yeah if you have a switch kicking around deff try that. if you can just easily pull the switch off you could check to see if the power is still fluctuation with the switch removed. if it is then its not the switch. test light hooked up to the ground wire and prob some wires could tell you the problem if you ahve a bad ground or bad power wire. if you get fluctuation just hook the test light to a solid ground (truck itself) and if still fluctuating then its power.

I hate elctrical too but its not to bad hehe

Draco-87

Little up date: found the rear rt side tail light had a bare wire grounding to the frame, did a quick fix and no more on/off with the switch. Now my tail lights stay on high beam (as in stopping) when the lights are on and the blinker still no blinkey. So tomorrow I'll grab the test light and check more wiring. Thanks m16ty you were right about the ground, now for the rest