• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

bad night plowing m1009

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd surmise that the axle joint was worn through weakening the axle which subsequently failed. Upon its failure and the sudden stop from binding, it took out the hub. That hub is why I like the old multi piece steel Spicer hubs. Luckily front ends are dirt cheap for that.

jeremythe67t

actually it was completely random, not more than a week ago i was in there and changed pads, calipers. checked and all the front joints were good and tight. i was out plowing and after 3 hrs of constant plowing i felt a slight bind, backed up walked out there unlocked the hub, and moved forward thinkin i had ice or something in there, locked it back in, made one more run and it lasted to the end befor it let loose, I thoung i had broken a pinion bearing, from the sounds it was making and how it acted i was expecting to be missing some ring teeth.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
We have grenaded spiders on the rocks at Rauch Creek in my son's POC dana 35 once fixed he snapped the axle so it now rides on a FF Corp 14 bolt 1 ton axle. Perhaps with plowing you would want to put in a Dana 60 or better.

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've plowed since 1983 with a couple 1/2 ton Chevys carrying an 8 1/2' Western Pro plow and never had that happen. I had a 1976 Jeep Cherokee bust a front axle joint once and it never had a plow on it. Looked like the universal had failed on it. Sometimes crap just happens!

That said, I do like the larger joints the bigger axles have!

Last edited:

OLDCHEV4X4

I've done that too, only it was a D44 in a 72 Blazer. The hub was ok. So i put the 73 and up style axle shafts in it to get the bigger u joint.

randyscycle

Last time I did that to a front axle it was in waist deep water and a little too much throttle application on a slick river rock! Then I had to winch out.

Did I mention this was in January in the mountains of Virginia?

madsam

I have lockers in my Ramcharger with a 7' myers. I have 33 on it and chains. It got so stuck and the wind was blowing and then it sat over night in -10 degrees. The next day, I broke both outer shafts. First one went then because of the lockers, the other went. %$#%^&!!!!!!

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rP0Xd3oEbx0[/media][media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDxB41Trv1g[/media]

That is when I went looking for something bigger. Ended up with the M816.. It won't brake so easy.. :twisted:

Now I have the Snogo, and it is almost working, I hope. So no more pushing snow. It will pick it up and through it... :razz:

I still need to finish fixing the ram charger.

Last edited:

skinnedknuckles

Yep been there,done that at least 2-3 times a year down at the shop . I'm not the one that breaks them but I have to fix it and get them back out to push more snow. Last year I even had one that blew out so bad that it drove the steering knuckle out of the ball joint studs ( they were still in the axle housing) and the tire-knuckle -spindle parted from the vehicle just being held on by the tie rod ....OOPS!
Skinnedknuckles in Janesville,Wi
I need a bigger garage.....again

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks