• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

bad running engine

CorneLauwerijssen

I hope some remember my previous posts about this subject.

Well I have cleaned all filterhousings and installed new filters and
there was a small difference.
Last time it started running badly (sounds like its running at 5 cilinders) at around 1500rpms and knew around 1800rpms after the filterchange,
but when I accelerate slow or fast then it sounds normal, not like running at 5 cilinders.

Its running normal between 800 and 1800rpms, may be a little bit unsteady,
hardly noticeble.

But I supose that the Fuelinjectionpump got some dirt inside, it almost must be when you
see how dirty the filters where. How vulnerable are these pump really against dirt
and water, would a tiny drip of dirt or water destroy the pump or makes it just
badly running. Tommorow Iam going to take the fuellines of to see if theres dirt
inside.

At least I have good oilpressure and temperature. The injectors are good too, we
have pressuretested them.

Thanks in advance,

Corné

devilman96

Wat verbetering!... Sounds like you are moving in the right direction but it sounds like you still have a fuel supply problem.

I would pull the fuel pump out of the tank and check the strainer, clean the pump. I would also pull the tank drain and see if there is water, algae, dirt, etc in the tank. You would hate to ruin you new filters by pumping them full of trash.

How old is your fuel? If it has been sitting for years you may need to add some fresh diesel and or a few liters of lacquer thinner to get it burning well.

Injection pumps can handle a small amount of trash but they do not like water, especially when left idle for extended periods. I would keep trying the small things before trying to blame the injector pump.

CorneLauwerijssen

I forgot to say, but I cleaned the tank before and the strainer was clean.
The fuelpump looked brandnew.
Ive also drained the tank and found no water.

But Iam going further with the small things.

Thanks,

Corné

CorneLauwerijssen

Hi

I cleaned all fuellines with compressed air and diesel, but no dirt came out the
lines. Also took the fuelpump out again and cleaned it with compressed air, although
it was clean but just a double check.

Ive also refilled the tank with new diesel, maybe it had some old diesel in the
tank.

I took it for a one hour testride, but above the 1800rpms its still making trouble.

Could I have the wrong injectors??? They have 2 spray holes.

Aircleaner is clean and it only smokes grey on acceleration.

Corné

CorneLauwerijssen

Any ideas left here on the board??

Well I was thinking of a compressiontest, how much compression should it have?

About the fuel injector pump are these for sale or rebuildable and where to
get parts?? Here in the Netherlands rebuild pumps cost 2500 euros and
sometimes they have takeouts for sale. So Iam thinking to get one
from overseas.

Thanks,
Corné

devilman96

Check the TM section (left of page) you need TM9-2815-210-34-2 and 2-2 It has all of the techinal information on the LDT engines and will have all of the test information you need.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How many hours are on the engine? Has it had a valve clearence adjustment lately?

CorneLauwerijssen

Hi guys

I will start with the bad news first :cry:
During the compressiontest, I saw that one of the injectorfuellines was squirting
some fuel, but not under high pressure like the other 5 did.
I suspect something in the pump is not working like it should

Good news is that the compression was perfect on all cilinders :lol:

Anybody have some ideas about the pump, I couldnt find any
specific info in the online manuals.

Corné

rmgill

I believe that if it's loosing pressure, then the injector heads aren't going to fire the way they're supposed to.

CorneLauwerijssen

Hi guys

Can I easely take the hydraulic head off?? I think its only 4 bolts in the corners right??
Do I need to be carefull, I have no idea what happens when I take it off.

Corné

devilman96

DId you get my PM???

My answer to IP pumps is always the same.... Don't take them apart... Take them to someone that knows what they are doing...

In your situation on the other hand I can understand taking it apart... I know what the inside looks like but I do not know how to explane the process to you... Pulling the hydraulic head is not that hard you just have to be very mindful of what you are doing in the process. I am guessing by your description that you will find rust and or water contamination on the inside... Photographs would be helpful in finding the problem.

If you are working outside and puling the head while on the truck I suggest laying down a good sized tarp or plastic ground cloth. Bed sheets work better because the fuel can drain off but it usually makes the wife rather mad!!! Many times I hear the same thing when people dissemble these... the springs disappear in the air!!! Be very mindful of what you do and how you do it.

CorneLauwerijssen

Yes got your pm :wink:

But first I would like to fix mine if possible, very understandeble I think.
But you are right too and thats why ask this on the board.

I will think about it.

Thanks,

Corné

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks