• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bad starter?

98hd

So I thought my control box was bad on my 818, and that is why it wasn't cranking.

I did a little trouble shooting today, and the relay in PCB is working. I have 24V to the starter, and the ground seems fine. When the switch is turned to start I have 24v to the trigger wire on the starter also.

I tried jumping the starter w/ a piece of wire on the trigger wire to the main power earlier and that hadn't done anything.

So it seems I have a bad starter. Is there anything else it could be? I can turn the engine over, so I know it's not locked up. I want to cover all my bases before I pull it out.

Westech

CPL
sure sounds like you already check all it could be. Take it off and take it apart.. most of the time a good cleaning and sane the contact points and your good to roll for a while longer.

CloverFireCo

Just had the same type of problem. I thought I was having battery problems because every time you went to start the truck it cranked a little slower until it would not crank at all.

The wire on what I would have called the solenoid on the top of the starter was frozen, couldn't get the nut off, finally just broke the bolt right out of the starter and found that it was the problem. The other end of it was worn way down from the bad connection.

Put another starter on the truck and it has never cranked as well as it does now. Apparently we had this problem from when we first got the truck. I used to have to hit the ether button when it was cold to get it to start, this is no longer an issue.

Keep in mind it is really a 2 person job to get the starter out and back in, they are really heavy.

Chris

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks