• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bad storm breaks everything...Low Power/Engine shutdown

Wingnut13

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Morning all,

Had a big dump of 20" heavy snow that's killed the power grid here. Internet was out. Cleaning up I blew a hard line on the tractor cleaning up, fought to get the plow on my truck without tractor help (not recommend) and here is where it got interesting. Plowed myself and one neighbor out, returned home. Wife says friend has tree across driveway and needs plowed out too. So I head back out.

Just as I'm sitting in the middle of the road and getting ready to drop the plow for the first pass the engine dies...... Crap, I didn't see any odd indications before it shutdown. Cranked the engine again, oil pressure comes up but no start. Waited about 20 seconds, a long crank starts the engine. It now has very low power, check engine light. I make for home ASAP. Got to the parking spot and I see the oil pressure drop to zero followed by immediate shutdown. Check engine light on.

I sat there and thought about possibilities, I have just replaced the IPR and pressure sensor. I started it once more, it starts and idles for a minute. Then again, oil pressure to zero and engine shutdown.

I have the ICE interface, not the whole kit, just the small box and cables. Does anyone have a link to the software? I had it somewhere and have lost it.

Oil quantity is good.

Anyone have a similar problem with a low power/shutdown situation?

Skyhawk13205

Morning all,

Had a big dump of 20" heavy snow that's killed the power grid here. Internet was out. Cleaning up I blew a hard line on the tractor cleaning up, fought to get the plow on my truck without tractor help (not recommend) and here is where it got interesting. Plowed myself and one neighbor out, returned home. Wife says friend has tree across driveway and needs plowed out too. So I head back out.

Just as I'm sitting in the middle of the road and getting ready to drop the plow for the first pass the engine dies...... Crap, I didn't see any odd indications before it shutdown. Cranked the engine again, oil pressure comes up but no start. Waited about 20 seconds, a long crank starts the engine. It now has very low power, check engine light. I make for home ASAP. Got to the parking spot and I see the oil pressure drop to zero followed by immediate shutdown. Check engine light on.

I sat there and thought about possibilities, I have just replaced the IPR and pressure sensor. I started it once more, it starts and idles for a minute. Then again, oil pressure to zero and engine shutdown.

I have the ICE interface, not the whole kit, just the small box and cables. Does anyone have a link to the software? I had it somewhere and have lost it.

Oil quantity is good.

Anyone have a similar problem with a low power/shutdown situation?
Sounds like your huei pump is getting starved of oil. I have heard reports of some oil pump failures on the 3126. What is your average oil pressure when warmed up and when cold?

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm assuming 3126b from your avatar picture (grill) and check engine light.

As mentioned the 3126b has tendency toward some oil pump issues. @Lostchain has a 2003 with ~6,500 miles on it. His oil pressure idiot light would come on when idling on hot days. We changed his oil pump and his pressure more than doubled.

This is a good video showing what happens with some of these pumps. Also note that it happens a LOT faster on the FMTV's because they are running at redline all their life. Another feather in the hat of the ECO hubs - less wear and tear on the drivetrain at half speed.

Wingnut13

Steel Soldiers Supporter
M1078A1

I won’t have a chance to investigate for a few days, but yeah I’m a bit concerned it’s a pump or bearings, or both. Last year I had the same issue with the low oil pressure light coming on at stop lights. I took the chance on a used pump from a school bus. Best case scenario for a 3126 application I figure. The pressure was much better with an even lighter oil 10W30 than the 15W40 i

I did not pull any bearing caps while I was in there. But it may be time for a reman cat pump and bearings.

And yes, when able eco hubs are on my very short list. Though this little issue may delay that considerably.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks