• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bad trip.

SoylentGreen

Just spent a month trying to get the Deuce ready to attend the "Cowtown Warbird Roundup" (Airshow, sort of). Replaced all oils (engine, tranny, transfer, diffs.), replaced the oil pressure regulator and gauge. Triple checked everything, went on a couple 40 mile test drives. All is well.
So I head out from Hot Springs to Ft. Worth (300 Miles) and stop for fuel in Sulphur Springs (200 miles) and notice I now have oil from the front bumper to the rear mostly on the right side.
Trip is now aborted, can't see where the oil is coming from so I head home trying to get as close as possible before calling a tow truck. Made it all the way home. I check the oil level and it still showed full! Oil pressure at the start of the trip was 40psi and dropped to about 25psi at speed and dropped to 10-15 at idle. Ran between 50 and 53 mph all the way.
Could all this oil come from the slobber tube and make it's way forward to the bumper? I have a winch so the bumper is pretty far forward. I degreased the engine, ran it for a while but don't see any leaks.
The good news is I got 8.6 mpg.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maybe a front crank seal or the oil lines for the front of the fuel pump. Or a head gasket.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check your oil for fuel contamination.

MDSA

I had almost the same thing when I did a recovery in Richmond. 600+ mile round trip. When I checked the Deuce out in Richmond before heading home, I saw oil all over the underside. Mine didn't quite go all the way to the front bumper. After the panic subsided and everything was checked (no loss of oil on the dipstick), we headed home with no problems and she has run fine ever since. I asked AMGeneral about it, and thought it was probably blow by (is that the right term?)

Hope this helps.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
:ditto:

My 1963 ford 4000 diesel tractor was 'making oil' and it would start coming out the Tach drive and the dipstick...

me thinks the leak is in your FDC or if bypassed, your IP pump.

Sorry to hear about the aborted 'mission'

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks