• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

bad turbo?

schnackj

IMAG0103.jpg

What do you guys think, Its hard to tell but it seems like there may be a crack on the side of the housing, I can feel hot air coming from somewhere and some oil is coming out near its connection to the exhaust. I just found it today so I haven't had a chance to look into in further.
This is a non whistler on a late AF truck.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
At the very LEAST your missing a clamp on the exhaust. You need to look into what you have, and should have.

schnackj

I'm running a fairly high oil mix right now. I'm going to pull it apart tomorrow morning and see what it looks like since it doesn't seem right.
There is supposed to be 2 clamps on the exhaust then?

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Lets see - I once lost a turbo. The bushings failed, lost clearance & the vanes started contacting the housing. The danger is that it sheds vanes on the intake side and they get into the combustion cylinders. In the mean time with the lost clearance, on the combustion air side, It began consuming vast quantities of lube oil. About a gallon per mile.

Yours looks like the clamp is off, its running slow & cold (slobbering), and is way too rich.

KsM715

The danger is that it sheds vanes on the intake side and they get into the combustion cylinders. In the mean time with the lost clearance, on the combustion air side, It began consuming vast quantities of lube oil. About a gallon per mile.
There is also the danger of bad seals and sucking in oil on the intake side and having a run away motor

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Pic didn't show on my cell as well as it does on the PC. I was mistaken, no clamp missing. Some of these motors have an adapter there to fit them to the exhaust(on a 5ton truck) which is what I thought I saw.

schnackj

Ok i was able to get the exhaust side apart and take a look at thing, there is definitely no crack, there was just some flakey rust wedged in near the clamp. but it seems like there is a lot of oil in the first exhaust piece after the turbo and the flex pipe.
do you guys think this may just be un-burnt wmo in the fuel or a bad seal in the turbo?
I cleaned up the flanges and gasket and put it back together and ran it again and I don't feel any exhaust leaks in the area.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Unless you have been idling it or not taking it out and running it hard. The multi likes to be run hard and hates idle time.

schnackj

well I'm almost sure its slobber as its been sitting in the same spot only idling for a while while I have been working on a few things on it and needing air. However in my panic yesterday I put a bid in for a NOS replacement turbo and ended up winning it today for around 260 shipped. So I think to be safe I'll put the replacement in and keep the old as a spare, Is there a recommended procedure for pre-lubing a fresh turbo before start up.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks