• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

bad wheel cylinders

Terexts

I've finally got my spindle nut socket to start going through my truck and fix the leaking wheel cylinders. I took the wheel cylinder off the driver side steer axle and when I took it apart, I found something I didn't want to find. The wheel cylinder had the wrong spring inside and I'm sure the rest are the same way. I have one more leaking on the rear rear driver side axle. I'm still debating if I want to hone and rebuild or just buy all new ones. I want to make sure I have my brakes in tip top shape before I do any driving.

Attachments

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
The spring isn't wrong. Its just part of a problem. The WRONG thing is to have a check valve in place of a vent.

roady

I just found the same exact problem on both front wheel cylinders of mine. My Deuce has the split brake system on it and I thought I read here somewhere that my front wheel cylinders where different size then the standard brake system. I found that both of mine where 1 3/8 bore and had "Wagner FD-3087" on them which cross references over to NAPA 4419.

Is there any rebuild kits out there with the correct springs in them.

gimpyrobb,

What do you mean by the check valve statement? Do you mean that we should install some sort of check valve in the vent in the master cylinder? If so do you have a link to one?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Nope, there was a thread recently showing different springs in the wheel cylinders. That thread mentioned the master cyls having a vent like what our axles have on them. It is wrong to have those on the master cyl. You should have a tube running from the master to either the slobber tube or it's own vent tube run to near the air filter housing.

Having a vent like whats on the axles will create a vacuum in the master cyl which is not good for the brake system. If air can get in and out of the master, those springs will serve you well.

roady

Thanks gimpyrobb...Mine has a plastic vent line that runs up to the top of the firewall and has a 90 degree bend on it. I am thinking about doing the remote reservoir set up.

ctmustang

The springs are not really wrong they're not really right either. I've rebuilt wheel cylinders on my trucks and installed the WRONG springs and enjoyed many years of trouble free driving. And yes I completely agreee with Gimpy on the mc valve. I cut the line 2 inches from my mc cap and pinched it almost completely shut just enough for air to pass and keep out the critters. This works for me since I don't plan on forwarding any deep water with it.
CT

Terexts

Update on the wheel cylinders. The driver side wheel cylinder was pitted and I have a new wheel cylinder to replace it. The passenger side wheel cylinder was good and needed a rebuild. I had my local Carquest to get the wheel cylinder rebuild kits and picked up a honing tool. Carquest rebuild kit part # C539 and it has the correct spring, just like the new wheel cylinder I recieved for OD Iron. I just have to find the time to put the parts on the truck and go thru the rest of the wheel cylinders on the back. I also replaced the forward/ reverse shaft oil seal in the transmission lid.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks