• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bah! Dented Rear Driveshaft.

Varyag

I did a good PM of my truck when I bought it but it got dark and I missed a quarter sized dent in my main drive shaft from the TC to the first diff. I noticed a slight vibration coming home and noticed the shake from 25 to 40 mph. I stopped and checked twice to see and found nothing. Just thought it was tires.

Had a friend of mine who is a diesel mechanic check it out and he found it in seconds. I drove this thing at 55 for about 7 hours getting it home... Think I did any other damage? I am kind of worried about it.

Yeah, 55. I just did a facepalm that could be heard 2 blocks away when I read FMJ's blown rod thread.

Varyag

This truck stumbled into the ultimate owner. It is just going to be for fun and taking friends out on short jaunts. No hauling for this girl for a while at least.

But hey, at least I finally got my deuce!

GoHot229

I had a 1946 Federal all restored 2&1/2 ton. While lifting it on the 'car/truck' lift, rather just the front as it was too long, The lift contacted the driveshaft, pushing up the middle of the drive shaft, and I think you know the rest of the story, bummer, new driveshaft had to be fabbed.

On your driveshaft....if it's NOT BENT... you can use typical hose clamps to balance the dricveshaft again. Put them there at the ding either on or 180 from the dent, you may have to experiment a bit, easy enough with a 5/16 socket/screwdrider.

Last edited:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Congrat on the Deuce! Bummer on the dinged driveshaft. GoHot has a valid approach on balancing. Be sure that it's not bent though - that could lead to other trouble when applying torque through the driveline.

And... before someone else says this.....
nopics...... LOL

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I have an extra one. $50 plus the ride if ya want. I just shipped 3 front driveshafts for about $50 total.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Most shaft places can toss it on the balancer for some cash too. If its just a dent and not bent, it can be brought back into balance. As far as the facepalm, I'd not worry too too much. I've been running mine down the highway at 55 and better for years and years. We've had 2 catastrophies in so many weeks but the norm is alot less. Rarely are more than one reported each year on Steel Soldiers. With that said, I still have 4 canned motors hiding in wait.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks