• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Balancing Beads ok to use after run flat removed?

rustystud

What about the stuff used to weight tractor tires...?
Beet juice.
has a freezing point of minus-30 degrees Fahrenheit....
it's NOT corrosive to the metal, and if spilled SO WHAT... there is no special "clean up" for it...
That's interesting. I have never heard of using Beet juice ! Is there some publication that explains this ?

99nouns

What about the stuff used to weight tractor tires...?
Beet juice.
has a freezing point of minus-30 degrees Fahrenheit....
it's NOT corrosive to the metal, and if spilled SO WHAT... there is no special "clean up" for it...

That's interesting. I have never heard of using Beet juice ! Is there some publication that explains this ?
I heard Preston Antifreeze Co. sent assassins for you TsgtB, soon you all are about to put them out of business, I better start planting some beets. Wow I wonder what was the line of thought process for someone to actually put beet juice in a tire, that would be an interesting story hear. It must be God..!

TsgtB

Since the invention of rubber agricultural tractor tires, farmers have been adding ballast to their tractors to maximize their pulling power and to optimize balance and stability. That ballast comes in two forms: iron weights and liquid-filled tires.
Liquid ballast comes in many forms. Most types of liquid ballast have some limitation. They freeze. They’re no heavier than water. They’re toxic, corrosive or very expensive.
Rim Guard® was developed and patented in 1998 as a liquid tire ballast that overcame all of the shortcomings of other liquid tire ballasts.

• Rim Guard® is nearly 30% heavier than water.
  • Rim Guard® is non-corrosive.
  • Rim Guard® is non-toxic and biodegradable.
  • Rim Guard® is freeze-resistant down to -35°F.
  • Rim Guard® is cost effective because inner tubes are not needed and tires are easier to repair.
  • Rim Guard® is the one and only Beet Juice™ tire ballast!

TsgtB

I have NO interest or ties with this product,

Rim Guard® ... Beet Juice™

I was only sharing the information.... if you think i'm pulling your chain. Look it up.

Farmers have been using or trying new things for a LONG time.....

Last edited:

richingalveston

since you have the tires clean, I would use Dyna beads, I have them in my 39 inch Michelin XZL's on my 1009. 12 OZ. of beads in each tire. They work well. I will be getting some new centramatic balancers to add.
Currently the tires run well but want to add some extra balance media for the extra stuff that may get stuck to the tire and rim when off road.

The nice things about balance media and centramatics is they adjust to the extra stuff that sticks to the tire and rim.
tire weights just get torn off and are static and cannot adapt.

I would stay away from liquid balancers. The liquid is more for added weight than balance. If you have ever driven a tractor with liquid in the tires, at times it will get out of balance and the entire tractor will hop of the ground. It makes you wish you had the death wobble. very scary. This hop will happen just before the tire reaches the speed where centrifical force starts the balance process. The entire volume of the liquid will go around the tire making it hop.

You are using one piece rims so you will need a tire machine to repair thus a tire shop. You do not need to be concerned with field repair since you will never fix a flat in the field with a one piece rim unless you carry some serious pry bars and other tools.
liquid is for weight not balance.
It is primarily used in tractors and construction equipment that does not reach speeds where tires need balance.
Small amounts may work as a balancer but have to many problems. Beads are easy, used widely by the off road community and will not void a tire manufacturers warranty if you have one. If you were to go to discount tire for a patch and antifreeze poured out of the tire, they will not warranty it nor will they put it back on the rim. (good friend discount tire store manager for many years) And from what it sounds like a regular tire shop will not take the time to do a patch right on an antifreeze soaked tire.

Rich

dawico

Tire beads work ok if the air inside the tire stays dry. If not it may clump and make the ride worse.

Also, if you have beads inside the tire make sure you have air available if you check the tire pressure. The beads can hold the valve core open and allow the tire to go flat. Pumping air into the tire (even if it is at the desired pressure) will blow the beads clear and allow the valve core to seal up again. I had to do this almost every time I checked my tires with beads in them.

One more thing. Tire beads on a smooth floor is worse than slick ice. Be sure to warn a shop if they are going to work on your tires with beads in them.

Honestly, I have never had good luck with tire beads or golf balls in tires that carry enough weight to flatten out. That flat spot just keeps the balancing product moving and negates any benefit.

On my F450 the beads and golf balls worked well enough until I hooked a heavy trailer on. Then forget it.