• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Balancing the 53" XZL tires?

PREDATOR

So how does one go about balancing these 53" XZL tires that weigh 360 pounds per tire?

Thank you in advance

Westech

CPL
we never balanced them in the Army.. just mounted and go. I have had hit and miss luck with the sand and beads. Really a tire that large its not going to balance out very will.

PREDATOR

some guys use sand yo use in big tires :driver:
OK, that sounds about right. That's what I have in my 50" Super Swampers but they don't weigh as much as the XLZ's. I'm planning a full swap here soon... going 5 Ton Rockwells, 53" XZL's with the 20" HEMMIT 10 lugs and Disc brakes from Boyce.

Anyone run the HEMMIT wheels flipped out? I like the deep dish look and I'm sure the axles will handle it.

Thanks!

xjjimmy

OK, that sounds about right. That's what I have in my 50" Super Swampers but they don't weigh as much as the XLZ's. I'm planning a full swap here soon... going 5 Ton Rockwells, 53" XZL's with the 20" HEMMIT 10 lugs and Disc brakes from Boyce.

Anyone run the HEMMIT wheels flipped out? I like the deep dish look and I'm sure the axles will handle it.

Thanks!

50" Super Swampers?????? i know they make 44,47 and 54's?
Just curious what they make in a 50"

Alredneck

Banned
Equal, powder to balance OTR tires! Could get pricey with tires that big.

I have used it in tires from 36"-49" When I get around to 16s one day I would use it in them!

Worked well on my SS IROKS which wouldnt balance on a machine.

KsM715

M920 mentioned using Equal in his last project with 16's on HEMMT wheels. Maybe he will see this and speak up. I'd like to know more for when I can afford tires for my 818

oldMan99

On one of the 4x4 boards I read they had a discussion about balancing tires, (Of all sizes).

There is a process where they remove the tire/wheel assembly and then move a machine into place under the vehicle and spin the hub to (I believe) 110 or 120MPH and then balance that assembly.

Once the hub is balanced they reinstall the tire/wheel and spin it up to speed. The balancing is then done by actually machining off the outside of the tread until the tire is 100% true and round. Then they add weights to correct for any remaining balance issues.

According to the people that responded to the thread that had had the procedure done, (Everything from small econobox cars to 18 wheel trucks and some guys with huge mud tires) they all said it was unbelievable how well the process worked and the difference it made in both ride quality/handling and extending tire life.

I have never see it done in person, seen tires that it was done on, or talked first hand to somebody that has done it so all the above is directly from memory of reading the site about a week ago. I tried to find that same page again and was not able to.

Hope this helps some...

4x4e350

Golf balls.
I have 4 per tire in my 49.5" old Super Swampers, and it works real well. Tires that big, I'd try 6 per tire, and experiment from there.

M920

M920 mentioned using Equal in his last project with 16's on HEMMT wheels. Maybe he will see this and speak up. I'd like to know more for when I can afford tires for my 818

Ok....I really had good luck with the Equal powder / beads. I run it in everything of mine and it performs awesome. I had tried dynamic spin-balancing on the machine and the system that does it right on the truck and it always still had sume vibration left....( mostly between 96 and 103 MPH...LOL)
The tires that I used the Equal in, run completly "smooth" at all speeds....:jumpin:

If you run it in the 53"s, the quantity chart from Equal asks for 20 ounces or (2) B-size bags. I noticed that it does not hurt to put a little more in to the big ones then what they recommend. You just don't want to go short. (the balancing compound actually starts working AGAINST you if you don't use enought to be able to take care of the tires imbalance.... (the whole truck starts "hopping" like a Kanguru.....lol)
Also, make sure to use the special valve stem inserts that should come with the Equal packages and install metal valve caps that have the rubber seal in them....

Hope this helps....

Soni

Albin

Antifreeze: cheap, easy to install, won't clump and doesn't require special air valves or filters on the valves.

I use it in my '92 Pathfinder, '85 Toy rock crawler with 35: mud terrains and on my 10K lb car hauler trailer. Smooth as glass.

Support the vehicle so it doesn't completely sit on the tire, remove the schrader valve. Attach a 1/4" ID hose to the end of the valve and the other end in a container of AF. Lift the vehicle, allowing the tire to suck up the AF. Reinstall the schrader valve and reinflate the tire - done.

Here's another chart to size how much AF (or any other dynamic balancer) per the size and weight of the tire: www.[B]counteractbalancing[/B].com/application1.pdf

Like the poster above stated, Counteract recommends one ounce per 13 lbs of tire.

However, just like wheel weights, DBs won't fix a bent or damaged wheel or tire or an out of round tire. They will balance a tire very well and it's permanent.

Good luck.

Al

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks