• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Balancing the 53" XZL tires?

M920

Antifreeze: cheap, easy to install, won't clump and doesn't require special air valves or filters on the valves.

I use it in my '92 Pathfinder, '85 Toy rock crawler with 35: mud terrains and on my 10K lb car hauler trailer. Smooth as glass.

Support the vehicle so it doesn't completely sit on the tire, remove the schrader valve. Attach a 1/4" ID hose to the end of the valve and the other end in a container of AF. Lift the vehicle, allowing the tire to suck up the AF. Reinstall the schrader valve and reinflate the tire - done.

Here's another chart to size how much AF (or any other dynamic balancer) per the size and weight of the tire: www.counteractbalancing.com/application1.pdf

Like the poster above stated, Counteract recommends one ounce per 13 lbs of tire.

However, just like wheel weights, DBs won't fix a bent or damaged wheel or tire or an out of round tire. They will balance a tire very well and it's permanent.

Good luck.

Al

OK so.....if you come out in the morning and there is a GREEN puddle under your truck.....how can you tell now if your radiator is leaking or one of your tires...?!? :sad:

I'm just NOT sure I like that....couldn't you use somthing different.... like JACK DANIELS for example....? It won't FREEZE....:beer:

oldMan99

OK so.....if you come out in the morning and there is a GREEN puddle under your truck.....how can you tell now if your radiator is leaking or one of your tires...?!? :sad:

I'm just NOT sure I like that....couldn't you use somthing different.... like JACK DANIELS for example....? It won't FREEZE....:beer:
I think JD would be much more expensive. Might come in handy if your broken down in BFE, cold and thirsty though.....

If you have JD in your tires and get a slow leak is that considered an open container?

Albin

Hmm, let's think about this: If the tire isn't flat, then there's no way for the liquid AF to leak out. That, I think, would be your first clue.

However, it's pretty much a moot issue since I've never lost any AF even though I have one tire on my Toy that has a slow leak, I think it's coming out of the rim area, they get muddy then leak, no biggie.

AF freezing is a concern, but only if it gets below about minus 30 degrees or so (typical spec for most straight AF is -34 IRC). So using AF alone might be a concern for those that live north of the border or in AK; otherwise, I doubt it's an issue. ETA: Those just south of the border might have a problem with straight AF, I'm not familiar with temps in the border states - I'm from Alabama, we don't do snow and cold temps.

You can use all kinds of stuff as a DB, including but not limited to: BB's, ball bearings (both ceramic, carbon and SS), golf balls, airsoft beads, Equal, and Centramatics (although I don't know if they make any to fit mil-vehicles).

Hope this helps.

Al

Last edited:

4x4e350

Hmm, let's think about this: If the tire isn't flat, then there's no way for the liquid AF to leak out. That, I think, would be your first clue.

However, it's pretty much a moot issue since I've never lost any AF even though I have one tire on my Toy that has a slow leak, I think it's coming out of the rim area, they get muddy then leak, no biggie.

AF freezing is a concern, but only if it gets below about minus 30 degrees or so (typical spec for most straight AF is -34 IRC). So using AF alone might be a concern for those that live north of the border or in AK; otherwise, I doubt it's an issue.

You can use all kinds of stuff as a DB, including but not limited to: BB's, ball bearings (both ceramic, carbon and SS), golf balls, airsoft beads, Equal, and Centramatics (although I don't know if they make any to fit mil-vehicles).

Hope this helps.

Al
I was going to go the Antifreeze route, but heard when airing down, the AF will cause the tire to come off the rim much easier, being AF is very slippery. I also heard the AF will deteriorate the rubber quicker.
Not knocking the method, just some things I had heard, so that kind of scared me away from using AF.2cents

Albin

4x4, I've been using it for over 5 years on my Toy rock crawler. One of the first things we do when rock crawling, is lower the air pressure, sometimes waaay down, for better traction etc. Losing a tire isn't a problem with the AF at least compared to others who don't use it. I have installed roofing compound on my toy wheels for just this problem, cause sometimes you can hit a rock just right and lose the bead no matter what; the roofing compound helps make it stick better.

As far as deteriorating the rubber, I haven't seen this yet either. The toy tires are just about 6 years old now, and they show age checking and cracking, but that's normal for 6 year old tires that sit more than drive every day.

Good luck.

Al

4x4e350

4x4, I've been using it for over 5 years on my Toy rock crawler. One of the first things we do when rock crawling, is lower the air pressure, sometimes waaay down, for better traction etc. Losing a tire isn't a problem with the AF at least compared to others who don't use it. I have installed roofing compound on my toy wheels for just this problem, cause sometimes you can hit a rock just right and lose the bead no matter what; the roofing compound helps make it stick better.

As far as deteriorating the rubber, I haven't seen this yet either. The toy tires are just about 6 years old now, and they show age checking and cracking, but that's normal for 6 year old tires that sit more than drive every day.

Good luck.

Al

Thanks for the response back. You have obviously tested them, much more so than I would. I will try the AF next time.[thumbzup]
The golf balls really are a pain to get in between the beads and rim!;)

Preacherboy

golfballs shouldn't be a problem with hemtt wheels and 53" tires. On my 15.5's (46" tires) I forgot to put the valve stem on one of them and I could still reach in there with my hand and install the valve stem.

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Was just going over this same subject with my big tire guy. He said golf balls work good but that they liked tennis balls the best. They work better than Dyna Beads.

You have to put then in the tire before mounting is all.

You could also probably use Legos, ball bearings, and also spare nuts and bolts. Think I will try the tennis balls and report back.

FASTNOVA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have combat wheels, my concern would be with equal or the airsoft balls would get in between the beadlock and rim then really cause me some problems. Racket balls sounds like a good idea.

Vintage iron

I agree with Fastnova. I just mounted 53's on combat wheels. I did not go with balance sand, bb's or beads, because I was conserned about it getting between the beadlock and the rim. I am not sold on large balls like tennis, golf or racket balls. I went with one gallon of 50/50 antifreeze in each tire. It works great! I have tried different tire pressures too. I like to run about 40lbs of air in the front 35lbs of air in the rears. I would be interested in using airsoft pellets though. Oh, yeah! you don't have to worry about the tire slipping off if you have beadlocks!

A little tip. Buy the best you can find or new 53's. Some used ones are very uneven or have bullet holes in them!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks