• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

ballistic joints for dogbone, torque rod

rustystud

Has anyone considered using "polyurethane" bushings in their torque rods ? In the late 80's I needed bushings for my "54 REO" deuce . I didn't know anyone who sold parts at the time so I went around to the rubber industry and found a shop in Seattle who would do custom moldings. After I brought him the whole torque-rod to look at, he said "why don't you go with Polurethane" . I asked "is that possible ?" and he told me it would be easier then rubber. I thought the cost was a bit high ( I didn't know what the prices actually where for rubber ones or else I would have said yes ) . I kept looking and found "Boyce" . That's when I found out how much new rubber bushings went for. By now I really needed to move the truck as the neighbors where starting to sharpen there pitchforks. The custom rubber molding guy needed over 3 weeks to make the "Poly" ones. Boyce had theirs in stock and could ship right now. So I went with Boyce. I lost track of the molding shop, but I'm sure another one could be found. The question remains though, would it be better then the original rubber style, or just another way to waste money and time ?
I do have some questions for you "Adxavier06". Is there any rust forming on the inside of the joint? Can you sneek-a-peek past the nylon washer to see ? Also how often do you have to grease the joints ? Does the grease seem to stay inside OK ? Thanks in advance.
With all of todays advances in technology, I truly believe there has to be something better then the old rubber bushings. I have a lot of spare torque rods that need rebuilding, so maybe I'll try "Eriks" new bushings on a couple of them.

Adxavier06

Just posting a update, I have nearly 1500 miles on the new joints with no issues. I went ahead and replaced the other two i found that were bad. Im taking it for a little off road action next week. Im gonna try to mount my GoPro under the bed to get a video if the new joints in action.

DavidWymore

I have an idea to CNC machine hard plastic cups to fit on wither side of the stock/original ball and some plates to fit around the torque rod end to capture them. Maybe shims to take up slack as they wear. What do you think, Gringeltaube and Rusty?

rustystud

I have an idea to CNC machine hard plastic cups to fit on wither side of the stock/original ball and some plates to fit around the torque rod end to capture them. Maybe shims to take up slack as they wear. What do you think, Gringeltaube and Rusty?
What kind of price point would we have here ? The ones "Eriks" has sells for $100.00 an end. They are solid steel "Heim" joints. Yes expensive, but would last a lifetime. If you could come up with another alternative that would be as strong as the Heim joint and be cheaper then I think you could sell a ton of them. Be sure to add a grease zerk to them.
I had planned on converting all my torque rods to the Heim joint. I'll wait and see what you can come up with David !

DavidWymore

What kind of price point would we have here ? The ones "Eriks" has sells for $100.00 an end. They are solid steel "Heim" joints. Yes expensive, but would last a lifetime. If you could come up with another alternative that would be as strong as the Heim joint and be cheaper then I think you could sell a ton of them. Be sure to add a grease zerk to them.
I had planned on converting all my torque rods to the Heim joint. I'll wait and see what you can come up with David !
I have a joint minus rubber cleaned up to play with. Tricky thing is the ball is not round, more football shaped. I/we have been slammed at work and I'm ashamed of the lack of progress on the HH clips, so I need to get that done first. Having trouble with the die/forming part.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks