• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Banks Sidewinder Question

pacebm

I have two M1009's and I am thinking about adding the Banks Sidewinder kit to both of them. I see that there are several models to choose from. I am assuming we have the HD version of the 6.2L but I just wanted someone to confirm it for me.

chevyCUCV

The M1009 is a 1984 K5 Blazer with a 1 Ton J code 6.2L instead of the normal C code 6.2L diesel and a TH400 3 speed automatic instead of the TH700R4. These modifications were done at the miiltary's request to make all engine/transmission components the same between the 1008 and 1009 trucks.
From the FAQ:doghead:

top_prop

I always thought it was the opposite... my 1987 civie r20 suburban has a "J" code diesel in it, and its more or less the same but it has a difference CDR valve set up, a cruise control mounted on the IP, and an AC compressor instead of a drivers alternator... so I figured the cucv's would have a "c" code for 'comercial' seeing it didn't have to conform to the same emission standards as the private use diesel...

could be wrong, on all that,

but for the OP... I'd wager that yes we have the HD engines in our trucks, but even better would be to call banks and ask.

The "J" and the "C" don't stand for anything, it's just the code letter used in the VIN to differentiate which engine it was. J = Heavy Duty 6.2l, C = Light duty 6.2l, H = 305ci V8, W = 454ci, etc.

There are some slight differences between the military J code and the civi J code. The CDR location and hose routing is one of those differences.