• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Banks sidewinder turbo system m1028

67_C-30

hey guys i was wondering if you could use a banks sidewinder turbo kit on a m1028 ? if so what are the pro and cons and suggestions?

Yes. I have one that I am going to be putting on my M1009. The rear battery mount will have to modified to clear the turbo, but its other wise the same as a civi 6.2L. The con is slighty less MPG on the highway, but the pro's are everything else. The non wastegated turbo on the Banks kit doesn't effect MPG as much as the 6.5 turbo does, but there is a little more lag with the Banks than the 6.5 set-up. Either set-up still takes off from dead stop better than a N/A 6.2 due to the fuel being turned up. They make the engine run so much stronger and makes the truck much more fun to drive. Turbocharging is the single best mod that can be done to the 6.2L. There's a reason no diesel car or truck have been produced without a turbo in nearly 20 years.

SmokeyDod

I have a Banks on my M1028 and my son has one also. We did not have to change either battery location at all. I also bought a M1009 which had a Banks on it and same - no changes. As to fuel milage Banks sayes it should increase it and on both our trucks it added at least 2-3 mpg better. I have never cranked to M1009 as it is a rust bucket and only reason that I bought it was because it had the Banks on it. The Banks makes a tremendous plus difference in the performance especially when you are pulling a load.

SmokeyDod

Oldsouthernboy--My 1009 I probably will keep. In considering putting D60 in front & 14B in rear & taking off rear top & making a "rock-crawler" to try to go on some rides w/grandkids with my son. This is the only cucv I have ever seen the military put a Banks on. After further cking after I got it home, it was station in Mass. somewhere and they were using it for a "snow plow" so I guess some guy convinced the powers to be that the Banks would make it push snow a lot better. They removed the brush guard. That's why it was so rusted-snow & salt. I drove all way from SC to PA just to pick this thing up-only did it for the Banks. All of it was there and in great shape except for the exhaust system from the "down pipe" back.

84cucv1ton

i always wondered if the banks was worth it.. i have a banks. 900 for it.. bunch of 6.5 turbos from a friend who work on buses. got them complete for 300. from what i read the banks spools up a bit faster.

OddballJ

Yes. I have one that I am going to be putting on my M1009. The rear battery mount will have to modified to clear the turbo, but its other wise the same as a civi 6.2L. The con is slighty less MPG on the highway, but the pro's are everything else. The non wastegated turbo on the Banks kit doesn't effect MPG as much as the 6.5 turbo does, but there is a little more lag with the Banks than the 6.5 set-up. Either set-up still takes off from dead stop better than a N/A 6.2 due to the fuel being turned up. They make the engine run so much stronger and makes the truck much more fun to drive. Turbocharging is the single best mod that can be done to the 6.2L. There's a reason no diesel car or truck have been produced without a turbo in nearly 20 years.

Banks website claims a MPG increase. Is there any reason would it drop the MPG on an m1009 unless you changed your driving habits?
I have an opportunity to pick up a complete banks for kit for 500. Is it worth it or should I just go through the pain of trying to fit a 6.5L turbo? How likely am I to burn a hole in my engine running a turbo?

OddballJ

A complete kit for $500.......buy it. I paid $2,000 for mine.
Obviously not new for this price. The guy's 6.2 "blew" so now he's selling it. How does one tell if a turbo is still in good condition? Is there a place that I could get a parts list so I would know whether or not anything was missing?

67_C-30

Banks website claims a MPG increase. Is there any reason would it drop the MPG on an m1009 unless you changed your driving habits?
I have an opportunity to pick up a complete banks for kit for 500. Is it worth it or should I just go through the pain of trying to fit a 6.5L turbo? How likely am I to burn a hole in my engine running a turbo?
They do claim a gain, but almost anybody that has them say they've never really seen an increase in mileage. The turbo creates an exhaust restriction and you're turning up the amount of fuel coming from the IP, but the increased efficiency evens it out pretty decently. Most people claim the mileage is about the same ior slightly better in town and costs a mpg or so on the highway, and this has been my experience in the past. I've had a bunch of these and nothing better on the highway than NA 6.2, but the added power is well worth it. The 6.5 turbo effects mileage worse than the Banks because it wastegated.

67_C-30

BTW, I should add this is based on an unloaded truck on relatively flat grond. The turbo increases mileage on hilly roads or if loaded due to the engine not having to be worked near as hard.

bigflew

two questions
the banks kit comes with a 2 into 1 exaust is this necessary? (summit racing has kit with out exause for under $1800)
also does the turbo make the truck any louder?

67_C-30

two questions
the banks kit comes with a 2 into 1 exaust is this necessary? (summit racing has kit with out exause for under $1800)
also does the turbo make the truck any louder?
There is a crossover pipe that goes from the factory driver's side manifold to the pass side Banks manifold. You have to have it to get exhaust from both banks of the engine to drive the turbo. Then there is the single exhaust that runs from the turbo out to the rear of the truck. I haven't seen it being sold without the exhaust, but if it comes with crossover pipe, you could have a competent muffler shop run the exhaust for way cheaper than $600 - $800. A good muffler could even do the crossover too, and shouldn't be too expensive. Do you have a link to the kit w/o the turbo?

And no, they actually make it quieter, unless you run open exhaust. It also makes the engine noise much quieter in the truck because you don't hear the air rushing into the huge holes iin the intake under air cleaner. The Banks air box keeps makes the turbo whine nearly non existent, but you can make a cold air style tube with a K&N you can hear the turbo whine, if you want to. I prefer them with free flowing mufflers and the cold air set-up becuase these engines sound really tough with the turbo whine and rumbling exhaust, IMO. They sound good without being obnoxiously loud.

Here's mine Banks set-up in the before I took it out of the Suburban. Notice it doesn't have the droning sound from air cleaner when it revved up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eolZIk1f_PA&feature=related

Last edited:

67_C-30

Here's one with open exhaust, which a little louder than I like.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iqN3yjfz2Y&feature=related[/media]

Here's another that sounds like Banks exhaust.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_blijs0NV8&feature=&p=FDE0E5EE2B9234BA&index=0&playnext=1[/media]

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks