• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Banks Turbo Install

Taz

I just finished installing a Banks Turbo kit on my '85 M1008. There are some issues that pertain to CUCV's when compared to a civy install, I thought I would share.

I replaced the front battery and tray with civy units as the military stuff is too big and there would not be room for the airbox.

I relocated the CDR valve from the rh valve cover to above the rh alternator using civy parts, other wise I would have had to cut and splice hoses- yuk!

I added an electric lift pump to the rh frame rail, eliminated the mechanical. The mechanical sits under the turbo and would be a nightmare to replace when it fails. I doubt the heat would do it any good as well.

I removed the volt gage and installed the pyometer and cut a 2 inch hole for the boost gage. My generator lights work so I can live with out the volt gage. This makes it very clean.

The turbo down pipe needs some clearancing as it sat on the frame rail. I also added a three bolt flange downstream and welded up the slip fit as it is exactly where the clearance issue is. Can also unbolt the down pipe and remove if needed.

The kit is expensive, but honestly when I look at what I can do with it now, I can justify it. I would not be afraid to tow or haul anything reasonable with it, where as before I would have to use my '99 big block gasser. Time to sell it! My front door is at 7200 feet so the oil burner really was gutless. I do have a built 700r4 trans and buried the speedo for the first time ever on the test drive. Also, very little smoke. Quite a difference. Also gets quiter in the cab under boost!

The kit and instructions are well put together. There is good quality there, better than most of the stuff one buys these days. The exhaust is good but not great as the muffler hangs down lower than I like, but I am very picky about exhaust installs. LOL Gary

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had an 88 Suburban with the 6.2 and the Banks kit installed. It WAS an excellent way to go.

I am currently thinking about replacing my 91 Suburban with an M1009. Then I'll consider some kind of Banks kit. Or just build my own. Not sure yet.

I too would love to see some pictures of your truck AND your Banks turbo install. jim

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
I had an 84 crew cab chevy with an ATS kit on the 6.2. It really helped but beware of that tiny little fuel adjusting screw. I turned mine up a little more than recommended then loaned my truck out to a friend. He didnt listen to what I told him about watching the EGT guage and came back with holes melted in 3 pistons.... aua . I think the banks kit is a better design.

bassplayer88

Are you going to replace your exhuast to a larger pipe to reduce back pressure and increase midrange power ?
What is the max boost with the banks. I was reading on other sites that the 6.2 has a max of 12PSI do to pistons breakage issues , thanks

Taz

bassplayer88 said:
Are you going to replace your exhuast to a larger pipe to reduce back pressure and increase midrange power ?
What is the max boost with the banks. I was reading on other sites that the 6.2 has a max of 12PSI do to pistons breakage issues , thanks
The exhaust that came with the kit is three inch all the way back. I have seen just over 11 PSI momentarilty at full throttle shifts under heavy loads. It usually runs around 3-6 at highway speeds. MPG is up slightly it appears.

carleckenrode

Which Banks Kit

Which Banks turbo Kit did you use ? I see there are a number of kits for the GM 6.2 engine. Mine is a stock M1008. I have a similar problem I live at 4700 ft and tow my travel Trailer sometimes as high at 9000 ft. Needless to say it is gutless. Thought a Banks turbo would help.
Appreciate any advice.
Carl

admiralking

Which Banks turbo Kit did you use ? I see there are a number of kits for the GM 6.2 engine. Mine is a stock M1008. I have a similar problem I live at 4700 ft and tow my travel Trailer sometimes as high at 9000 ft. Needless to say it is gutless. Thought a Banks turbo would help.
Appreciate any advice.
Carl
Carl,

Every article I've read uses the Banks Sidewinder for the 6.2 diesel engine. Here is a link to the Banks Sidewinder installation guide.

Banks.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks